Home Made Tonneau Project Pics...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Mercer

Reaction score
Did a little project yesterday. Fabricated a home made tonneau. Put some pics in my library if anyone is interested. Love to hear what you think of the final result.

Built the two piece frame from 2 x 2's routered the edges, sealed it and then covered it with white vinyl... for a grand total of about 40 bucks.

I just screwed some L brakets inside the bed for it to sit on... used the existing holes and found some bolts to match. then use bungie cords to secure it down for now.

Haven't had it on the highway yet but around town at about 40 - 50 it didn't flap much. Actually seemed to get pushed down by the wind if anything. I'll be pulling an enclosed trailer on the highway tomorrow so we'll see what kind of turbulance that creates.

Looks awesome! :)

Do you plan to keep in on through the winter snows? I know the snowfall can be pretty deep in Colorado, and I'm not sure how the 2X2s would hold up to that.

Very nice...good attention to detail and craftsmanship on the wood and its rounded edges. I like it. Figure out a kewl way to anchor it, and add a handle or two on the underside for easier removals (and hanging on a hook in the garage) and you have yourself something extra-special.

TJR

What a nice looking cover! I'm guessing it's not weather resistant since the cover doesn't overhang the top of the bed rails?

Randy,

That looks great! You are truely a craftsman.

You said that the wooden frame is covered with white vinyl? Is that like a vinyl cloth material stretched over the wooden frame, or is it a hard vinyl laminate sheet that was glued to the wooden frame?

...Rich

looks ok, but maybe you need to get rid of the black things on the side of the bed with the hooks, dont know what it's called. or maybe you should paint those too.

Looks good! The view down your street (mountains) sucks! :) Beautiful view... my friends have a view like that out their bedroom in New Mexico. Makes me want to move.

Looks awsome. I wonder how many of us have home made covers. Personally, I think that looks better than any cover you can buy, as it is recessed into the bed. Well done.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Rich - the vinyl is just heavy duty white material that's streched over the frame and stapled on the inside.

It definitely isn't going to be weatherproof but is more for looks than anything. I'll probably have it off if the weather is bad.

I did pull my trailer today at about 70 or so and didn't really notice much flapping of the vinyl. But a nice tweak would be to line the top of the frame with 1/4 inch plywood to support the material.

Thanks again everyone.

Okay, I am all over this one! Please oh please turn it in as a project. It may not do well in Colorado:angry: winters as others have suggested, but here in North Texas I am sure it will do just fine .:cool:It looks like a great project:D especially for those of us with limited budgets.:(I have the tools and the time.And a100.00 Dollar project is easier to talk to the wife :wub: about than an 1k Tonneau:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts