Holy brake light!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
I got my 3rd brake light (stock Ford OEM) and the LED bulb today. As someone requested, here's a pic of it on.

021bded559756c7946e58978a007662d.jpg

Much brighter and it'll never burn out. Plus, it produces no heat to melt the reflector.

Here's what the bulbs look like:

3522feca64ceae9fc4d56f16e2ed0db1.jpg

Here's the link where to get the bulbs:

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered one of those 3rd brake lights this weekend after seeing your fist post, as my light is yellowed and nasty, so thanks for that link! I'm also planning to swap all my bulbs over to LED, and I remember seeing your post a few months back that you were doing the same. I assume you've been happy with the bulbs from this seller thus far? Oh, and maybe get a pic tonight when it gets dark of the brake lights and of the cargo lights?

I assume you've been happy with the bulbs from this seller thus far? Oh, and maybe get a pic tonight when it gets dark of the brake lights and of the cargo lights?

That seller has lots of cool LED bulbs. I bought replacements for the turn signals, brake, and park/tail lights. Fast, free shipping. All the bulbs, except the cargo bulbs, use #2835 or #5630 LEDs, which are bright and made by Samsung.

Here's what the turn/tail/turn bulbs look like:

5fa4f0c785803ee80d136c4d601bd68b.jpg

I replaced the flasher rather than use those resistors, which seems hokey to me. Here's the flasher link:

OK. Here are some nighttime shots.

Brake lights:

0500e22ec182143679cdb925c84ff18c.jpg

Tail lights and cargo lights:

c6cb498811b6c924b561461e1a4cc534.jpg

Video of tail lights, cargo lights, and hazards/turn signals:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZX7dk_ZF8vA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Much appreciate all the hard work of linking. This makes it easy for others and myself to follow in your footsteps.

Thanks Mark! Looks like a great bang for the buck upgrade, appreciate the pics and vid. :supercool: :supercool:

Where is the flasher located on the gen 1 ST and did the new flasher take care of the hyper flashing? I have seen some reports that they don't work. Thanks, Fred

The flasher is under a cover just above the accelerator pedal. A new LED-rated flasher will fix fast flashing.

Mark, did you replace the reverse lights as well? I'm curious if those got brighter, too. Your video shows the hazards, but not the reverse. My reverse lights are bright now, but anything brighter is better when backing up. if you have a picture, that would be even better. Thanks!

My original back up lights are now amber turn signals. My new backup light is a halogen light in the Waag rear bumper guard. I also have a red rear fog light opposite the backup light. I was going to take the ST to England a few years ago, but changed my mind. That's why I have amber turn signals and a rear fog light.

[Broken External Image]:

I also have amber turn signal indicators on the sides of the front fenders.

[Broken External Image]:

Sweet!!! I'm thinking of changeing all bulbs to LEDs. Going with led flasher as well. I see a nice set of led headlamps on superbrightleds.com. Might look into getting those.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331016550654?nav=SEARCH

Found the link for those tail bulbs, already ordered reverse lights, now to order taillights. Mark, did you order 5630 for your reverse lights and 5630 amber blinkers for the front?

Or did you go with the 2835 smaller leds?

Wondering if I should get just white for the tail/blinker or red. My brake light is my blinked in the rear, and it's the amber up front. I won't need anything other than the flash controller and the bulbs, correct? Sorry about all the questions... Ask more than you need, do the job once.

Thank you!

Speaking from an emergency light point of view you're going to want to go with the color of the lens. So if it's a clear lens it will be ok for any color. The clear behind the red will work but will be dimmer. The best is to use the same color led as the lens color.

Latest posts