Hitting the gym, part 2

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey Everhart

Reaction score
So I said screw it. I've been going to the gym, some by myself, some with my girl. I'm proud of myself, the anxiety is there, but I can overcome it and focus on what I need to do.

I'm in a world of pain right now though. I woke up this morning and my quads hurt like a mother! Hurts to walk, going up or down stairs is near impossible. Getting into the sport trac is fun. My shoulders are a little sore from weights, but not nearly as bad as quads.

I did the elypitical for about 10 minutes yesterday, before I could barely stand. So I hit the treadmill and walked for 30 minutes at an almost jogging pace. After that I just did some upper body work, mostly machines, but I did some free weights.

What can I do about the soreness? I plan on going back today sometime, but I dont think I'm going to do any cardio, maybe just do some back, or ab stuff.

I used to work out every day. I was always sore. Now, I work out Monday thru Thursday, upper body Mon/Wed, lower body Tues/Thurs and it works alright. You're gonna be sore. How long have you been going for? When I started back in January, I was sore all over for about the first two weeks, but then it all got better.

I find that "flexal 454" works good for my wife and I, for soreness...we have both joined the Y, recently...

I've found that a good stretch after working out really helps with the soreness. Stretch all the mucles groups you worked, hold each stretch for about 20 seconds, rest for around 30, then stretch again, this time stretching just a bit further then the first time. This helps elongate the muscle, improve range of motion, joint/ligament health, and power...as you'll be able to contract the muscle quicker. As for the muscle groups you didn't work, still stretch those, but only one set of 20 seconds. But, as always, nothing quite cures soreness like hitting the weights again.

Just remember, keep proper form so you don't hurt yourself, and pain is a good thing. It means you've ripped the muscle at a cellular level and it's repairing itself, making more muscle mass, strength and all that comes with it.

Always stretch before, during and after excercises. Allow muscle groups 2-3 days to recover from a hard workout. Alternating body part routines will allow you to work out as much as you like and still allow for recovery.

Aaron -

Went to a fitness camp sponsored by iSatori several weeks back. If you want honest info and solutions that work, contact my friend Steve Adele @:

Email: [email protected]

Toll Free Call: 1-866-688-7679

Fax Number: 1-303-215-1386

http://www.realsolutionsmag.com/contact.asp

A gal that works with Steve, Linda O'Byrne, is also extremely helpful. They will not sell you stuff; they will help you with solutions suited to your goals.

You ought to make it to their 2nd fitness camp next year, the first one was a blast.

R- How was it Beautfiul Colorado? Probably a good time! You still going to be in the DC area? Let me know if you make it. ...speaking of hitting the gym, that's a great idea. Not sure I'll do it, but it's a great idea. :lol:

The soreness you are fealing is called lactid acid. Its a byproduct of your muscles working. The better shape you get into the less you will feal it. What happens when you work out is you microscopicly tear muscle fibers and your body rebuilds itself bigger and stronger. In the mean time you are also making the lactid acid and it is seeping into the surrounding muscle tissue through these tears in the muscle. This is the soreness everyone dreads when they first start working out. The best thing you can do was stated above, stretching and cardio. The more blood you can flow to the area the faster it will leave yor system. Over time your body will get better at absorbing it and you will get that "sorness" only after a heavy workout once in a while. Hope this helps. Keep up the good work. I've been certified by the American Councel on Exercise for 10 years now and a personal trainer, if you need any more advice let me know.

John

for the soreness here are your keys.... stretching, lots of water.... and if you are taking any supplements it should be protein, creatine and the most important and most common forgotten...GLUTAMINE....these will help you build and repair faster than you could by just exercising and eating a normal diet. You should notice that once you are taking the water and do the stretching that should take care of some of the soreness but the glutamine is the key, it speeds up recovery times and help you from losing lean muscle mass in the process.

During those first couple of weeks doing cardio first before weights warms up the body much better than weights first then cardio. And, since I'm in my 40s now I always do this before my weight training. Have to get all those arching joints moving first.

I need to do a mod on my recliner. I'm going to put a foot rest lift handle on the left side of the chair so I can alternate arms!:lol::lol:

Haha, having to mow 20,000 square feet of greens with a 14" mower at just under a jogging pace in about 2 hours...that'll get your blood pumpin. Oh, howabout taking 50lb bags of sand and lifting them over your head and dumping them into a container for 9 hours doing about one a minute when we do "drill and fill"? Howabout laying 22 pallets of sod in a day with only 3 partners? Last one, howabout every time it rains I get to hand repair 61 bunkers from where the sand runs down the sides, using only a flat shovel and landscaping rake...

Yeah, I work at a golf course with a bunch of illegals...I get my workout every day.

stretch, stay hydrated and drink a few ounces of pickle juice.