Hitch switch over and towing advice

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Costin

Reaction score
Well, I switched my hitch over on my 2007, 2WD, V6 ST!

I had a 7 pin wiring harness installed and mounted just under the bumper. I think it looks pretty good, funny, I notice other vehicles now with 7 pin adapters under there bumpers when I sit at stop lights. Also, had a prodigy brake controller installed.

I have a co-worker who's husband builds stock cars and does all his own welding. He cutout the 1 1/4" receiver and welded in a 2" receiver for me for $100! Even painted it and all while it was still hot so the paint would bake in, as he referred to it.

So, I am all setup to pick up my new camper! I have been pulling a popup camper for the last 3 years with the ST, but we are upgrading to a Hybrid camper. The Hybrid camper is 3200 pounds dry and has a tongue weight of 238 pounds. It will also be coming with a weight distribution hitch.

Any thoughts from you all or tips on towing. I am actually going 300 miles away to pick up the camper. I have experience (700+ mile trips) with towing the popup and boats, but the camper will be a little different.

Congrats on the new hybrid. You'll have lots of fun with it. We had a hybrid for a couple of years tha I towed with my Gen 1 Trac. The WD hitch makes all the difference in the world. We had a pop-up prior to the hybrid also, and I felt that the 5,000lb hybrid towed much better than the pop-up because of the WD hitch (didn't have it with the pop-up). I towed our hybrid from VA through mountains to IL when we moved in 2006, and it did just fine.

You might want to consider having the transmission filter/fluid changed, just to make sure that's in good shape. It couldn't hurt, since the tranny will be working harder to pull heavier trailer. Also, don't use Overdrive often. I almost always towed with Overdrive off - just didn't seem to do as well with O/D on.

Overall, I think that you'll have no problem towing the hybrid. Have fun!:supercool:

Here's a picture of my Trac and the hybrid we used to own:

[Broken External Image]:

Pics? Of the hitch conversion? I will try to snap a couple at lunch today.

Traintrac, that is a nice size camper you are pulling! I am buying a 2006 Rockwood Roo 183. I think from tip of tongue to back of trailer the whole thing measures about 22 feet in length. My '07 has a tranny cooler, I think they were standard? Good tip on the tranny fluid, I should probably do that before going on our long planned spring break trip. I had already planned on pulling the popup down to the Keys, from SC...I have made the trip before with the popup. Should be a good trip with the Hybrid, not to mention other than the first 100 miles of my trip, the rest is flat all the way down I-95.

Latest posts