Hitch for ST and Mazda 3

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Geist

Reaction score
My wife wants a bike rack for the Mazda 3 and for the ST. I went to etrailer.com to find what is available and wanted to see if anyone could help. The ST, according to the site says the hidden hitch will have a 2" hitch opening. The Mazda 3 has a 1 1/4" opening. The bike racks that slide into the hitch are either 2" or 1 1/4". Is anyone aware of an attachement/converter that would allow me to interchange between the two vehicles with the same bike rack?

What year is your ST? Not all ST's have the 2" receiver hitch, it depends on the year model and the option that it came equiped with.

I think thereis an adaptor available tha will allow you to use a 1 1/4" bar in a 2" receiver. I will post it as soon as I locat it.

I have a 2002. I was looking at some bike racks and they mentioned a bushing that is needed if you have a 2" receiver. Since I have never had a bike rack, it's hard to visualize how this round bushing will help (but I'm sure it will). Does anyone have an opinions on the type of bike rack? I see they have tilting frames that allow you to get to your cargo. This could be a nice option to have. I will likely be carrying 2 full-sized bikes for the next couple of years until the little ones grow up.

I bought a bike rack years ago for my Mazda/Ranger pick-up and Nissan Van. It will fit the class II hitch (the smaller one) as wellas the 2 inch class III. I put a class III on my ST (front and back) for carying bike and pulling trailer.

It is made for the Class II hitch but came with a "adaptor" to take up the extra space for the Class III. I have always used it on my Class III hitches on all three of my vehicles.

Since mine came with the converter I imigine most do, out of the box. Just buy one that fits both size hitches.

Alright...thanks for the info. Now that I know this will work...are there any recommendations on the type of bike rack. My wife and I both have mountain bikes that cost less than $400 combined so I'm not going crazy with a bike rack.

I love the Mazda3. My wife drives it most of the time but do enjoy picking up the pace with the Mazda3. It's a bit dangerous because if I'm by myself (wife and kids at home) I can get up to 80mph on the highway without even realizing how fast I am going. It's a versatile vehicle with a surprising amount of room. Plus...it was either the Mazda3, Honda Matrix or the Pontiac Vibe. Good thing I had that vehicle when my wife went into labor 2 1/2 years because I made a 45 minute trip in less than 30 minutes. I was exceeding 100mph on every straight-a-way I could. Was it worth it...my daughter was born literally 3 minutes after arriving at the birthing center.

I know what you mean about the speed. The thing is so quiet you don't even realize you are going 80. No wind...no engine noise. I forget to change into 5th a lot, look down at the gauge and see the speed at 80 and the RPMs at around 3500-4000. I don't know how fast this thing can go, but it doesn't seem to even struggle cruising at 85. The straight-aways aren't as much fun as winding roads though. :wub:

I just put new tires on the mazda and it handles even better. I think I ended up with Toyo's. They got really good rating on tirerack.com. I would enjoy the mazda as an every day driver but like to be above the traffic in the ST. Plus...in the winter, there are a lot of deer (I live near Valley Forge National Park) and would take my chances with the ST over the Mazda.