High Engine Temps-Gen 2 V8

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
Anyone running a cooler thermostat on a Gen 2 V8? Mine has been running over 200 degrees a lot lately, sometimes peaking as high as 215 (per my Scangauge II). I know it's been really hot here in Central IL lately, but that still has me a bit concerned.

If I'm not mistaken, the OEM 'stat is 195. So I was thinking of replacing it with a 180-degree t-stat so things run a bit cooler. Can that be done on a stock tune?

It's been running at 202+ only during these "dog days" over the last few weeks. Prior to the weather getting hot/humid, it was consistently running below 200 degrees. What really caught my attention and concern was when I saw the gauge on a really hot day (90's w/high humidity) peaking out at 210, 213, and even at one time hit 215.

So should I not be real concerned about these higher engine temps when the weather is warmer outside? Or is this something that needs to be addressed?

Thoughts?

My initial thought is - this might be normal behavior; is there anything wrong? Other than the ambient temperature, is there something that might be causing this (failing thermostat or fan, low on fluid)?

How many miles on the thermostat? Maybe it's time to replace (with OEM rating).

I'm not sure replacing the thermostat with one of a lower rating will provide cooler fluid on those "dog days" (the system can do only so much). Surely the one in there now is open fully, or defective.

Personally, I'd not make a change to address a 5% occurrence unless I knew there is a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Gen 1 v6 does the same thing if I run on the highway with a/c on when its over 100 Degrees ambient temp. With the cap we have on our radiators we can easily run up to 230 degrees F with out a over heat. Also my temp gauge reads normal all the time. With that being said don't worry about it as long as its not overheating for real.

TT, my gen 1 was doing the exact same. The t-stat was not opening all the way. Tested it in boiling water.

Went to advance auto. They showed two stats, a 180 AND 192. I went with the 180. My temps stay around 190, with no problems.

I agree with Eddie. Probably a sticking or defective thermostat that is not opening fully. It could also be a clogged up radiator...either on the outside with bugs and leaves, or on the inside with corrosion. Either way, I would clean the radiator, flush the cooling system, replace the thermostat. While you are at it, check the hoses. If the bottom hose is too soft it can collapse and reduce the flow of coolant and cause the engine to run hotter.

...Rich

Latest posts