HID kit arrived w/broken bulb!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big K

Reaction score
So I ordered this kit: http://www.carhidkits.com/6000k-hid-kit-183.html and everything looks all-together and great. Aside from my broken bulb, that is. It's a cheap kit, and I expect it to naturally go bad faster than the more expensive kits, but showing up broken? That's a little ridiculous. At least this kit is American unlike the last kit that I ordered, which coincidentally also showed up broken. Hopefully their customer service is able to send me a new bulb at no charge, but we'll see.

[Broken External Image]:

BigK/Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
I know, and understand if you'd like to crucify me for not going to expensive route, but I did my research on this specific kit and asked questions and their staff has been really good about answering my pre-sale questions and whatnot. Now we get to see how their customer service is about replacing this.

Yeah, this is my second kit. The first kit had sour ballasts, and bad wiring -- Bought it from a Chinese company and couldn't return it. This kit is under warranty, so as much as I hate need to use the warranty, hopefully their service can replace this at no charge within a reasonable amount of time.

With a kit like that, what happens when the high beam halogen burns out? Is it replacable, or must you buy the HID/Halogen combo bulb again?

I haven't tried the kit, yet, so I don't know from the personal aspect about the light output of the halogen. Hopefully the company responds to my email soon -- I'm pretty upset that it showed up with a broken.

90% of the time the halogen bulbs are garbage and your light output is crap too. I had a set like that just to pass the safety with them (have to have "high n Low" beams) Within a month the Halogen bulbs both blew out in them. Your best bet is to get a set of the Bi-Xenon type...the ones with both High and Low beams that are HID.

The company contacted me today and said that they'll have a new bulb in the mail tomorrow -- Sweet! As for a Bi-Xenon, that was the original idea with the first kit that I ordered, but since I lost $140 on that broken kit I never got to use it. The bulbs should still be good, but I'm pretty sure that I've touched them with my bare hand in trying to figure out what was wrong with the kit. I also don't have the extra relay wiring for the Bi-Xenon's on the new carhidkits.com kit. I could take the relay off of the other, broken kit of mine but I'm concerned about mixing AGT ballasts with a Chinese (third-party) and the Philips Bi-Xenon bulbs on that kit. If for whatever reason this kit doesn't last, work, etc, I'll either call it quits on my HID attempts, or I'll save up for a quality Bi-Xenon kit.