Hey Lasik, or others with Lasik knowledge..

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Palmer

Reaction score
Basically, I was in an explosion about 4 yrs ago and I am now 46 years old. My eyes have settled to where they are going to be for the foreseeable feature (ok,, for the most part.. LOL).

I know just enough to make a poor choice at this point.

I am familiar with Lasik (I believe) for the most part. I understand their is a PRK option which I believe is the better of the options for me based on what I do for a living as well as the accident i had a few years back.

The explosion blew my eye out of the socket and was laying on my cheek when I came to. They basically pushed it back into the socket and pretty much went from there.

I do not know if my eye is out of round or if I suffered some sort of permanent damage due to the accident.

I have heard of a newer method called WAVE or WAVE-LIGHT or something like that. I believe it looks at more points in your eye as compared to Lasik.

I am very interested in your knowledge of these and the recovery time of the various options.

I do not care about the recovery time, just need to plan accordingly for it is all.

Thanks much for your time...

I had the more expensive "wave light" or Zyoptic treatment on my eyes. I dont have anything to compare it to, but a year later and I can see still better than 20/20

However there were no explosions on my eyes, they were just bad naturally

plan for about a week.... 2-4 days of recovery, 2-3 days of milking it/ sightseeing lol

mine was the Lasik teatment not prk--- last minute decision by the Doc.

Go for the Zyoptic... its twice the price, but the latest technology.

On that,,,

What are the average prices based on the various options?

From all I know, no insurance covers this. I can write it off based on my job, but I still need to pay for it up front myself. Which I can do, so no real issue there, just like to know in advance generically speaking.

Shaun, I am good now. It took about 8 months to fully heal and about 2 years for my eye to get back in alignment with my other eye. Those two years were not a lot of fun, but it kept moving back closer and closer every month, so I was just hoping it didn't stop.. LOL

here is a place I went to in Vancouver, WA. His site has a lot of info, though it is biased. Research your doctors carefully... google, etc. I am still in the 'adjustment phases' as my eyes had alot of Astig, so it is taking a few adjustments. Good luck in your decision.

I was not a candidate for PRK nor LASIK, so I had ICL. Implantable Contact Lens. The doctor implanted contact lens's inside my eye, between my iris and natural lens.

www.visianinfo.com

Coastie,

Email Paul (Lasik1) direct. He is really a great person. He will answer just about any question you have.

Tom

I am certainly not qualified to tell you what the best option for you might be. What I can add is from my experience where I had the regular Lasik with the additional technique where they more precisely measure your eye shape and feed that into the laser (don't recall the name of the technique). I felt great the next day. I'm 20/20 or better and going on 6-7 years since having the treatment. The only thing I noticed different (other than everything being very clear obviously) was that it took a bit for my eyes to adjust to high contrast situations. Best example I can think of is being in the woods where it is relatively dark and looking out through a break in the trees where it is bright. Sort of like having an overexposed picture. But, it went away. To this day I think having Lasik was a VERY GOOD decision. best of luck.

Tom,,

Thanks, will do.

Others, I do appreciate the input, your personal experiences will help me make a more educated decision..

Thanks...

Yeah, I can't comment on your specific situation, but I can tell you how mine went. I looked into this about two years ago. My doctor actually recommended a procedure called LASEK rather than LASIK. Basic difference in how they remove the flap from the surface of the eye prior to doing the laser. The LASEK has a longer and harder recovery time than the LASIK -- about 7 days for me, and it did suck hard for the first couple of days -- but my doctor recommended it to me because my vision was very bad, and this method would use less of the cornea (or retina, or whatever they are lasering on) and it would probably be a safer way to go. Two years, and I am still 20/20.

Mine cost about $3000, but even with the few days that were really bad, it was worth it. Coastie, if you need the surgery as a result of the accident, wouldn't your insurance pay for it? At least worth looking into.

Good Luck,

Rocks

You would start with a consultation with a doctor to determine if you are a candidate.

If the doctor shows the slightest doubt, I'd not proceed.

Three years later, I am very happy with the results of my wavefront lasik with laser keratome. I see better than 20:20, with no traces of any remaining side effects. But not everybody is a candidate.

Latest posts