Hey guys, long time no see -havin F150 problems now..if anyone can help i'd appreciate it

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Szkutak

Reaction score
Hey guys, i havent been back around this board for awhile now, i've had a ranger and now a 2010 F-150 since my trac..I'm hoping someone can help me here. I have a 2010 F-150 with the 2v 4.6. It has 34k miles on it now, mostly problem free except..

About 4x since i bought it new ive had a weird stalling issue where it dies when you come to a stop. I did some research on f150 forums and this seems to be pretty common, but its so rare that dealers can never duplicate it or fix it. Theres that, the other problem that I think goes along with this is i have had several electrical components go i nthe last 6 months. I have had 2 pigtail harnesses replaced going to my rear license plate lights, both time harness was burned out. I recently burned out both of my headlights at one time while driving on interstate at night. that was awful lucky for fogs..When i went to put new lights in both harnesses that the bulbs plug into are scorched black...? I recently had to send my valentine one radar detector in because it wasnt working, when they received it they called to tell me the inside was scorched from what looked like a surge...THEY told me they have seen a ton of f150s with this problem, and told me that these trucks for some reason have spikes and drops in current alot. But FORD DENIES ever hearing such things. Finally my newest electrical issue is my right turn signal is blinking 2x as fast as the left. The dealer told me it does that when the bulbs blow to let u know, however both front and rear blinker bulbs are still working? lol It has been in once for the stalling to no avail. and its going in tomorrow again and ill have to sit with all day they said...

If they cant find anything with the surging im probably gonna call ford customer care. The only mods i have is a dual exhaust, an intake, and a remote start...none of this should cause this kinda crap...I'm just hoping maybe one of you has some insight.

I appreciate yourr time and sorry this was a book lol

Thanks in advance,

Andy Szkutak

Andy,

It sounds like the IAC may be causeing the stalling problem, but it could be electrical?

I do know from many years ago, that a vehicle that frequently burns out a lot of light bulbs (like tail lights and license plate lights) usually has a problem with the voltage regulator (internal to the Alternator). A simple voltage test can show if the alternator is putting out too much voltage. This might be a heat related malfunction where a component in the alternator fails only when it gets hot?

With todays vehicles relying on solid state electronics and very precise voltages, too much voltage may be causing the ignition or computer to shut down...as well as burning out light bulbs.

...Rich

It sure sounds to me like you have a ground issue. A poor ground will cause amperage to go high and start burning connectors. The only other thing to check would be the voltage sense wire that goes to the alternator, if it is not giving the proper voltage to the alternator it will casue the alternator to charge at too high of a rate and that can also csaue your issues

thanks guys! my friend does custom radio installations and he too mentioned itr soundas like the amp is overcharging or something to that nature..should i mention that to the dealer tomorrow or wil they know enough to check these things? Also with regard to bad grounds and bad connections in general (other than alternator), isnt it kinda like a needle in a haystack tryin to find the one thats causing the problem? And another thing i dont understand is ive never tripped a check engine light for the stallling or blown a fuse for the lights? wouldnt that be the reason theyre made??

thanks you guys

Anything you tell the dealer is gonna fall on deaf ears so save your breath. If I were chasing down a suspected bad ground I look at a wiring diagram and find the common ground to the circuits in question so it's really not that big of a deal. As far as blowing fuses goes, sure the circuit is protected but it's usually double of what the device will use, so if amp usage goes up just enough to start melting connectors it's possible that amperage is still below what the circuit is rated for but if you have a high voltage issue then the fuse is irrelevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
re: Hey guys, long time no see -havin F150 problems now..if anyone can help i'd appreciate it by Richard L,4/19/2011 13:50 MT

Andy,

It sounds like the IAC may be causeing the stalling problem, but it could be electrical?

Didn't register when I read this yesterday...Pretty much any newer Ford vehicle is going to have electronic throttle which is also responsible for idle control..therefore we don't have an IAC.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks again. i have had these problems since before i got the remote start too. my friend works at an electronic store and he put it in. he went through all the connections with this again. I just got it back, they replaced the 2 wire harnesses to the headlights and as far as the stalling goes- they couldnt reproduce it of course but they tried to blame the intake. even though it did the stall way before i got the intake. I told them ill put the stock intake back on and itll still do it. the other problem is they didnt even fix my blinker! im gettin real sick of this!

Andy

I think I read somewhere that if the oil pressure gets to low the engine has a sensor that will shut the engine off to protect it, and I think I read it on the f150 forums site.

Latest posts