Here's a "Stuck" challenge

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denis Bourque

Reaction score
Here's the problem... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32860475/ns/technology_and_science-space/

Here's my solution.

Tools

1-Sport Trac

1-Big @$$ tow rope.

1-case of beer for the victory celebration.

1-borrowed rocket from NASA (anyone have contacts there?)

Gather a few members who love to go wheeling and make this site know world wide. Besides, from the pics, it doesn't seem to be stuck to bad.

:D

D

Wow this is sad. Almost as bad as the time that they collaborated with our European "friends" and destroyed a mission due to differences in standard (real world) and metric (ivory tower) measurements.

Our tax dollars at work. How come NASA hasn't done anything in years? The space shuttle is a real sack of crap, and at the end of Bush's admin they started plans for what they should have had, but the shuttle's suck does not excuse them.

We haven't done anything with the moon, and the best we can do is play with a RC car on mars, which has to be fun with the time lag. How come we haven't done anything besides spend billions to go party in a little box orbiting the earth? Why not just send someone over there to dig out the glorified RC car? We have to go there sometime, and money can't be a problem, not with Obama at the helm. After all, we have to spend our way out of a recession!

I vote real booze in lieu of beer ;)

Wow this is sad.

KL, did you read the following part of the story?
Spirit has certainly outlived expectations. It became embedded in soft soil at a site called Troy in early May, more than five years into a mission on Mars that was originally scheduled to last for three months.

I read the entire story.

We're blowing money on a toy car when we could have a bigger space venture?

Clearly the fact that the car has lasted longer than 3 months has allowed laze to sink in, as we haven't had too many missions to mars or anywhere of note since then.

The vehicle will probably last until antiquity since it is stuck, so what does its longevity mean anyhow?

Either way, it's sad. Just think, a person actually there could have done all of the things done in five years in mere days. And it is no less preposterous than a man in space, or on the Moon, a harsher climate.

Wow KL, kinda raggin on the NASA folks! I understand why we went to the moon in the first place, remember, it was called a space race for a reason. We couldn't let the ruskies get there first, that whole US pride thing.

Now, sending someone to Mars would be above and beyond what we currently are capable of at this time. The distance there would require more food and water than we can currently carry, crappy shuttle or no.

By utilizing the space station, we have a better shot, but again, the distance is what kills us. We just don't have the technology current that will work. But we are working on it. We are also working on longer missions, but right now its mostly phsycological testing that is going on, and whether certain organic techniques will work on a long voyage.

I think NASA has done a bang up job considering they are limited by funding as well, and whenever something goes wrong (or in this case, right), they get seriously pounded by the press, congress, even the prez tends to knock them down.

The fact that they could build something so inexpensive, and have it surprass thier wildest projections is a sign that they are starting to go in the right direction.

And as for the shuttle, its a truck, not a cady. It was designed to ferry materials and manpower to and from a space station. It was not meant to be what the government has made it. NASA strictly wanted it to launch stuff and do some repair and retreivals. Minor studies were also expected, but not the major work that its had to do. But since they cant get enough funding to design the next level craft, they overuse the shuttle.

And I am done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still not sure why they adopted the shuttle in the first place. Even Werner Von Braun said that a reusable craft like the shuttle would be a giant leap backwards.

The jack of all trades is the master of none :(

NASA gets ragged on because they haven't done anything monumental in aeons that received notice. Hopefully they're doing something, but even semi-private ventures have managed to get into space, and nowadays that feat alone is an accomplishment for NASA.

So, I'll concede they're starting to progress in the right direction...but that hasn't erased the black mark of going in the wrong direction for decades.

How can BHO shortchange any government entity? Him complaining about fundage would be the ultimate hypocrisy, akin to Castro complaining about communism. However, you are correct in that NASA is still under funded...are the costs justified, I can't say....maybe BHO could scrap truly worthless AMTRAK and siphon that money over. It might not be enough, but it is something.

Latest posts