HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Kaufman

Reaction score
HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

I drove home from work today, parked my truck and went up stairs...I come back down about 1/2 hour later, and the truck wont turn over. It cranks but wont fully start. Battery is fine, as stereo and lights turn on. what could this be????????????????

hold your gas pedal to the floor and crank. if it starts, your IAC valve is faulty or needs cleaning. if not, see if you have spark and fuel. could be a coil pack

under edit:

reset the fuel pump inertia switch, behind the passenger kick panel...

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this problem and it ended up being the fuel pump. The pump worked great when cold or the engine running but once it got hot and I tuned off the Trac it would not start until the fuel pump had cooled off. From what I know the pump would not hold enough pressure in the lines and would create a vacum that took about 30-45 minutes to go away.

The common failures for this are: (as mentioned)

Fuel Inertia Switch, for some reason they just fail.

And or fuel pump, once it cools down they work again.

Also as mentioned, try it with your foot on the pedal a bit as this bypasses the IAC motor. If it does start, then do the IAC first. However, try this AFTER it won't start as you will not know if it is the fuel pump or the IAC motor.

Thank you everyone...I brought it a Ford dealer ...they tested everything and it was determined that my fuel pump did go...They are telling me about $1000 for parts and labor is that about right. I figure with 148,000 miles on her its not bad for a part to go after working for 9+ years,, as my ST is a 2003

Steven if you are mechanically inclinded I say change the pump yourself. I got one off of Amazon for $110, only issue I had was I broke one of the plastic fuel lines so that ran me another $20. I would recommend a friend or helper to make it easier, I did mine by myself and figured rachet straps work great when you need a hand holding up the tank.

$1000 is a rip off. Find a good independent.

More like $400 to $600......

As Bama said, it is a DIY job if you are handy. Worst part is if the fuel tank is full. That happened to me with 20 gal T-Bird tank.

Ford also quoted over a 1000$ to replace my pump. Got it done at private shop for less than $700 (not much less...also included a new filter):grin:

Latest posts