Help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Spiegel

Reaction score
The alternator light comes on when the engine speed is at or above 3500rpm. This leads me to believe I have regulator or diode going bad in the alternator?

Does anybody have any experience with situation that would like to share?

Please ?

I am betting you have a belt slipping on the pulley when the alternator is under a load.

The belt literally gets thrown past the pulley of the alternator.

This is one of the reason most use a belt 1/2 inch shorter when replacing it.

It will correct for a weal tensioner as well as solve the belt slipping issue on the alternator.

My '03 Adrenalin had this same problem. A few weeks later I had to replace the alternator. Mechanic told me the problem is the brushes/slip rings/whatever get weak and do not make good contact at high RPM's.

Seems it was something like $155 for a rebuild one from AutoZone and about 20 minutes of labor to fix it and it was good as new.

Thank you to all!

I am still under warrantee and will let the dealer check it out.

Coastie, How would one determine if the belt is skipping?

Generally, if you pick up on the gas pedal for just a MOMENT if the light goes out, then you have slippage.

When you release the gas pedal the belt is no longer being thrown over the pulley for lack of better words. It grabs the pulley.

Very common with the power steering pump on the Trac, but not uncommon for the alternator as well.