Help with speakers

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Kingsley

Reaction score
I just bought some Memphis 5x7 coaxial speakers with kevlar cones and they come with crossovers. The speakers have 4 leads 2 for lf and 2 for hf. If im only connecting the speakers to the deck and not an amp do i need the x-overs? And if not which lead do i connect them to? Lf or HF?

Thanks

ST Owner

there are two sets of leads on the speaker itself????? I have never seen that.....well I have never worked with Memphis stuff before either.....

well I am guessing that......LF and HF will depend on what hz those filters are set to. I know on a sub amp it is usually 87hz and 125 hz, but I doubt those filters are set that low for your 5x7's.

WELL THE SPEAKER HAS LF AND HF AND THE CROSSOVERS HAVE THE SAME PLUGS SO IF I PLUG X-OVER IN IT WILL CONNECT TO ALL 4 LEADS ON SPEAKER AND THE CROSSOVER HAS TWO WIRES COMING OUT OF IT.

If the speakers are designed to be used with crossovers, I recommend that you use them. I'm assuming that the speakers are the co-axial type with a tweeter mounted to the center of a mid-range cone. Usually such speakers do not come with outboard crossovers and utilize an integrated capacitor to seperate the frequencies. If you do not use the outboard crossover, both the tweeter and the larger cone will be forced to reproduce the same frequencies. resulting in poor sound reproduction. With the crossover, the frequencies will be properly distributed to the speaker components.

To install, connect the + and - factory wires to the inputs on the crossover and then connect the crossover to the speaker. Crossover HF output to speaker HF input, crossover LF output to speaker LF input.

Unless additional wires were included with the speakers, you will have to buy wire to connect the crossover to the speakers. The factory HU wires will only serve to hook up the crossover. I suggest you pick up a spool of twisted speaker wire at your local auto supply store and cut to size after you've determined where to mount the crossover. A site search on "crossover location" or "crossover mount" will provide some ideas. They can be placed anywhere that they will fit between the door and the plastic door panels. Try to get then as close as possible to the speakers and check to see that they don't interfere with window operation. I drilled holes and mounted my crossovers directly to the door with screws, some have used plastic ties through existing holes.

Latest posts