Help on tire choice(s)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Collin Lyon

Reaction score
In reading the previous posts, concensus is the Michelin LTX M/S is the way to go. Went to several tire joints (dealer included), and was told that the LTX M/S was discontinued, replaced with LTX M/S2. Same places said this tire was not available in 18's. Just went to Michelin site and saw it was available in 18's, just not my exact size (P235/65R 18).

I'm no size expert, so my question is: while keeping my current rims, can the following be put on them without rubbing?

(1) P265/65R18

(2) LT275/70R18

(3) P265/60R18

(4) P265/70R18

(5) P275/65R18

Please educate me on what the P's, LT's, and the R's mean. If I remember right, basically means tire height and width. The lower the R #, the wider? The Michelin fact sheet on this is in my library.

Also options include:

(A) Goodyear Fortera Tripletred (I think everyone here hates Goodyear).

(B) Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza (had good luck with Bridgestones, but in cars).

(C) Firestone UNI-T Destination LE (??)

Thoughts/opinions? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just put a set of BF Goodrich Long Trails on both the Trac and our Expedition.

I was told they were good tires and were less in price than Michelins.

I think Caymen likes these tires as well.

So far so good, they ride smooth, have a quite ride and I didn't have any issues with the snow yesterday.

My tire place mentioned a new Michelin that was better priced, but he couldn't get them for about a month. He said they were made in China....no thank you...:btddhorse:

Just for comparision purposes: If I remember correctly, Andy Calhoun (Dingo) is rolling on a set of Toyo Proxes ST 275/55R18s with no rubbing issues.

However, I can't recall whether or not he's running wheel spacers to avoid rubbing.

+1 for Long Trails, best tires I've ever bought for 1/2 the money of anything better.

LT is light truck

P is passenger and mini-trucks, we're driving mini-trucks. The F-150 is a light truck, a Peterbuilt is a truck.

R is the aspect ratio, as in the LT275/70R18 is a Light Truck tire, 275 millimeters wide and the height is 70% of 275, and it's made for an 18 inch rim.

Not to convelute your tire selection decision but +1 on the Long Trails from me as well. I just put a set on my Gen2 V8 about a month ago and i'm liking them a lot. It also helps that I put a set of the Long trails on my truck for $248 (by way of a $60 rebate + a significant credit for my warrantied Michelin Cross Terrains :banana: ). You honestly can't beat them for the $$$$$.

I also have the Toyo Proxes S/T @ 275/55/18 with no spacers. No rubbing at all. Definitely changes the look of the truck for the better.

Of course, they don't make the tire any more. I have around 50,000 miles on the set. I will be getting a new set in the coming weeks and I will probably be getting a set of the Kumho Ecsta STX KL12 in the same size. I think they will be around $175 a tire with lifetime rotation/balance and nail removal/patching (lol...I've had 5 nails/screws removed over the last two years).

I went with this tire and I like them alot. Michelin LTX A/T2 265/60/18

[Broken External Image]:

eh, i love my goodyear fortera

245/60/R18

[Broken External Image]:

came out same as stock size

ill be getting bigger Forteras down the line