Help needed on info for 20" & 22"

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek F

Reaction score
I've read through what I could find on information for upgrading the wheels, but still not sure on what to go with for my '02 trac.

I am looking into getting either 20" or 22" wheels. Looking for concrete info regarding spacers?, offset? correct width size? tire size recommendations? What tire/wheel combinations are best for keeping the speedo correct? I have read other posts on other sites about tires rubbing when turning with 22" is that true??

I was originally planning on going with 20" and a 2" drop as I was unsure if 22" would fit/ride properly. It seems though as some of you guys are doing just fine with 22" and if this is the case I would rather go that route and leave the height stock. I am just looking for some hard facts on what the best option is for 20" or prefferably 22" wheels & tires.

I appreciate your imput and help!!

Derek

I have 20 x 8.5 rims with 275/45/20 sized tires. The rubbing issues will be determined on the wheel that you choose. A wheel offset of +10 to +20 mm will work best and reduce the chance of rubbing issues. I have no rubbing problems with my wheels. I have a +20 mm offset. You will probably not need spacers if you go with a medium offset in that range, unless you want your wheels to stick out of your fenders for appearance sake. My speedometer is slightly off. Here's a tire size calculator to determine how far off the speedo will be if you go wtih larger (or smaller) tires.

There are a few members that run 22s at stock height or lowered with little or no running problems. Like I said before, it's mainly based on the wheel that you choose. The most common tire size for those rims that I've heard is 305/40/22.

STCTC - thanks for the info! I do not want them to stick out really for appearence I would much rather them not rub and fit correctly.

Evan aka LD kud 50 has 22" rims on 305/40/22 tires and is at stock height and I don't think he has any rubbing issues.

Last edited by a moderator: