Help, My STA will not allow me to remove my key

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure its in park and turn the key a few times back and forth. I'm sure you've already tried but that worked for me a couple years ago on mine.

Try moving the steering back and forth. Usualy the direction it moves freely will allow key removal.

When I have that problem it's usually the truck did not set in park right I always crank it move forward or reverse a little bit then put in park let brake go to be sure it engages and then turn off and release key always works for me hope it helps

When I have that problem it's usually the truck did not set in park right I always crank it move forward or reverse a little bit then put in park let brake go to be sure it engages and then turn off and release key always works for me hope it helps

I had the same problem with my old 2001 Sport Trac. Took it to the dealer and they said they just lubed the lock cylinder and I never had the problem again. I don't know what they lubed the lock with, but it worked, and that's all I wanted.

If you vehicle is no longer under warranty you might want to try some of those spray lubes with silicone or teflon. LiquidWrench makes a great spray lube that contains Teflon....It's non-staining and it dries quickly so it does not attract or collect dirt. I used it to stop the squeaking driver's seat. The dealer fixed it several times but within a month or two the squeak was back. I sprayed it once with the LiquidWrench Teflon spray, and it never squeaked again !!

...Rich

One day, I had that same problem on my 08 Explorer, it was the button shift lock mechanism. If I remember correctly, you take out the cup holder liner, then there is a plastic piece that when removed can manually engage/disengage the shift lock. It was fixed and covered under the 36k bumper to bumper warranty.

Latest posts