Help me understand this sequence of events....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny Kearns 2

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Not ST related but our Freestar so apologies in advance but I was not sure where else to go :cry:

It all started one day when wife complained A/C was not cooling well. In addition, the check engine light came on. Took it to Advance Auto to check the code and came back with two codes (one being P0031 and the other I cannot remember but they both mentioned replacement of Oxygen sensor). At this point I took it to the repair shop and here is sequence of events as I know them:

Mechanic reports that the AC compressor is shot and that one of the Oxygen sensors is indeed bad so I say go ahead and replace.

Mechanic updates me with news saying that they cannot get the car started (Asked me for the security code - not sure why).

Mechanic reports that they finally got it started. Quote: "We disconnected the PCM and re-connected and it now runs - do ask me why"

I pick it up and drive it home. Seems OK and AC works great.

Next morning, drive kids to school and wife to work (I wanted to keep the van to drive and check out further). Drove about 15 miles total.

Came home, washed the van and picked up youngest from school (about another 5 miles).

Was going to drive van to pickup wife and van would not move as accelerated. Much "stuttering" when accelerating. Would not go more than 5 MPH even with bottom out of gas pedal. Check engine light and transaxle warning light on.

Towed back to shop.

Next day mechanic contacted me with news. PCM is shot. They found a used one ($225) and had Ford dealership "re-program" (whatever that means). They said they charged me no labor since they felt partly responsible (this statement got me to thinking...)

Picked up the van a few days later. Seemed to run OK. Now with about 25 miles on it - same symptoms.

Took back to the shop.

Mechanic now reports that something is wrong with the fuse box. With van running, if you tap the fuse box, the van shuts off. He plans to show me this when I go back today.\

Now I wonder, could they have done something to cause this chain of events? Could it be that the fuse box was the culprit all along (some sort of intermittent short)?

sigh......I just want a good qualified and dependable mechanic.......

Since it now has the same symptoms after they replaced the PCM, I would guess that the original PCM was not the problem. I think the electric problem with the fuse panel is probably the culprit since I have experienced the same irratic operation in my Honda when it had a bad fuse panel which is part of the wiring harness and cost over $400 (that was about 12 years ago)

If it is the fuse panel, you need to make sure that they refund you for the money you paid them to replace the PCM, since that was not the problem. I never pay for parts or labor that did not resolve the problem. When they call and say it needs such-and-such part, and ask me for permission to replace the part, I tell them OK, but only if they will guarantee that will fix the problem, or they will refund my money.

....Rich

Ditto Rich, I have seen fuse panel, and main power panels. Have loose wires and corrosion. They need to be pulled, and every wire in the jack harness, Checked and the terminals for all fuses.

If this is the problem a new fuse panel might be better. But the harness checked for loose wires in the jack.

Had the same problem with our '05 4.2 Freestar SEL. Water gets trapped from the cowl and gets the connections wet. We dried ours and sealed them better and the problem went away. Also, have you replaced the torque converter under the recall 11S25 / NHTSA Recall 12V-006? If you haven't, it will leave you stranded. We replaced ours at 100K miles, but now were are trying to get our money back as they sold us the same part as the defective one and the symptoms were coming back (we traded it in on monday for a '12 SEL Fusion as it turned 150K miles.

@ Acisne - Thanks for the additional info.

Update: Have had a new fuse box put on and so far no symptoms. However, the mechanic is saying that both the fuse box AND the PCM were bad. Now how can I argue that? He says he sent the old PCM out (for a core I guess?) so I could not get that checked out now if I wanted to....

Any more tips?

OK guys, I am in a quandry....

I disputed the credit card payment and they sided with me and refunded the $ I spent on the PCM. The shop manager called me yesterday and was quite upset about this. He whined about how they spent a ton of diagnostic hours as well as hours to put in the new PCM and fuse box - blah...blah...blah....

Now I get it. These things take time and folks should get paid for their services. However, how am I to know that these guys didn't cause the issues subsequent to replacing the air conditioner compressor and O2 sensor? Hell I am questioning the replacement of the O2 sensor now since he mentioned he also replaced a small hose at the same time for "free". Said hose being damaged could have also reported the original codes! Anyway, I am about to let this one go and give then their $, but it still just sounds fishy. The last thing I want to do is have these knuckleheads take me to court on this!

Thanks for listening.......

I won't speak as to what happened to your vehicle because I simply don't know what happened on their end but it sounds fishy to me. Stand your ground and don't pay them, afterall why should you have to pay for their learning/mistakes. While it has never happened to me I have spoken with shop owners who have been hauled into court or have taken customers to court and it seems as if the shop owner never wins whether they are right or wrong.

Latest posts