Help me make my decision

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csamuels

Reaction score
My 2002 Sport Trac has decided to develop a very heavy "blow by"issue.

I have owned this truck since the end of 2003 and at that time it only had 25k miles

I guess 360k is all I am going to get out of the original engine.......I still love the truck and only thing I would replace it with is a 08 to 10 V8 adrenalin, but they are more than I want to spend.......

Dilemma .........

1) spend 3k on a new reman motor, and 1500.00 on a reman trans.......(I can do the work myself, as we own a body shop, I am just as young and motivated as I used to be....) for about 5k when all is said and done.....

2) look for a wrecked Sport Trac, maybe in the 3k range and pull the drivetrain (not really knowing how it was taken care of, and possibly having to do all the labor again) but still have other parts to sell to recoup some of the purchase price........

3) other options......

find a wrecked one if you can still repair like ur in your 20's. I bought an 04 that was completely totaled for $700 with 82,000 on it in 2010 n im about to hit 100000. The original owner garage kept the vehicle an it was spotless inside.

I'd go remanufactured engine option. Buy someone else's truck and you don't know what you're going to get. I've never bought a reman engine before, but I'd take l1tech's advice and go with Jasper.

360k on it, wow, that is great. I've only got 82k on my 2004 and really considering giving it up, but these Maine winter are hell on vehicles, lot of small problems developing.

Interior:great shape- front leather seats recovered last summer

Suspension: replaced lower and upper control arms, wheel hubs, left drive axle,

Body: just check out the pictures in my library............

Found a reman engine 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty for the $2500.00 range and a local trans guy to rebuild for the $900.00 range.........

So I hope to be back on the road and going for another 350k soon........

Found a reman engine 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty for the $2500.00 range and a local trans guy to rebuild for the $900.00 range.........

So I hope to be back on the road and going for another 350k soon........

There you go!!!

Good luck!

Latest posts