HELP issues with the ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Kaufman

Reaction score
I have just over 121,000 miles on my 2003 ST and when i went in to the dealer today ( who has always been great with me on being reliable with needed repairs) they tell me that I have to do the following ASAP:

Replace tires only have about 2-3 Years on them

Replace rear brakes only about 2 years on them

replace L/F Axle Seal

replace Rear pinoin seal

replace R/F inner Tie rod

complete an alignment

and replace belt.

With the current tires i have on there now ( which he can get for me) they told me about $2020

is this normal for all of this to go already. Is it worth it to spend the money or should i just buy a new vehicle?

A new vehicle will definitely cost more than $2000, so that would be really bad math in my opinion.

That figure sounds about right for a dealership. You can go to an independent shop for another opinion. I actually recommend that. Just remember, tires are going to cost you about $600 low end up to around $1000 for normal street tires.

Most of those are pretty simple do-it-yourself projects and could save you a ton of money if you have the time, tools, and ability.

unfortunately i have none of those 3. I know that a new vehicle would cost more then the $2000 but i have put close to $5000 in to the ST this year (2010) including this $2000. I just don't want to keep dropping money in to the oblivion.

Its obviously your choice, and I wouldn't blame you for getting something new, but I buy vehicles for long term. I know I'm in a minority in this country and think you should go with what is most comfortable to you.

Here's the way I figure it, though:

If $2000 gets you a vehicle that has no other major maintenance issues for only one year, you are saving money.

Or you could finance another vehicle and spend at least $300 month ($3600/yr). You are locked into those payments. If you spend $2000 a year for another two years to maintain your Sport Trac, you're still coming out ahead money wise. No interest and your investment barely loses more value. A new vehicle accrues interest and loses value rapidly.

That's just my thought process. I think most Americans have a false sense of security in a newer vehicle and a false sense of how to save money. But then, its just my opinion.

Fords are only built to last 150,000 miles at best.

I know of many members on here who would disagree.

I have an original, never rebuilt Ford 351W 4bbl in my '69 Cougar. The miles roll over at 99k, so I don't know the true original miles so perhaps it's still only at 37k original miles. It must be since it would never make it past 150k, according to your scientific data. Good to know that I've got another 113k miles to go before having to buy something new.

Have to agree with Hugh. Go to a local mechanic(one you trust), show him the list and ask him if the repairs are needed. If so, get a price from him. The dealer may be "looking" for used Sport Tracs for his lot. Dunno. Bob

I agree with Hugh. I intend to keep my '04 for 14yrs or 200K at least. It is definitly cheaper to do that maintance.

I read an article one time. An economist said, a person that keeps a car at least 10yrs. Saves over $300k in their liftime. Including heavy maintenance and repair. I wish I had thought about that when I was younger. I used to to trade before paid off. Or cause I wanted new every 3 to 4yrs. Or cause I didnt want to spend $2k to $3k,to keep it road worthy. I actualy tradeed or sold some cars I really liked better than the replacment. At age 60. That extra savings would be nice to have.

Those are a lot of visual inspections. You could check and make a determination yourself on whether you need to do it now, or if it can wait ( tires for instance).

If your rear pinion seal isn't dripping (meaning there's moisture around the seal but it's not forming drops), I would not worry about it just yet. Mine had moisture for about a year before it started dripping on the driveway ($120 out the door, mostly labor the seal is about $10).

The belt is an easy & cheap DIY.

The only things I would be concerned with is the L/F Axle Seal (depending on how bad it is leaking) and the R/F inner Tie rod (probably the only thing I would do now).

I'm not disputing that all of those need to be done, but you could do it a little at the time and not shed $2000 in one shot...

I think it is cheaper to keep it, if it's paid off... JMHO

The parts needed are fairly cheap. It's just the labor that's a killer. With that kind of mileage it sounds about correct. As far as tires go it's a combination of how and where you drive. If you do a lot of stop & go driving your tires will where out a lot sooner than if you do a lot of highway driving.

Just my 2cents

Fords are only built to last 150,000 miles at best.

I have three Fords in my driveway.

One has 111,600 miles.

Another has 206,000 miles.

The last one has over 350,000 miles.

Tom

Latest posts