HELP - I'm too stupid to own a truck

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri Reed

Reaction score
The immediate need is question number one as we are going skiing tomorrow and I'm taking the dogs which means all the equipment will have to go in the bed of the truck.

Thanks ahead of time for any help provided.

1-Somehow the wires with the z shaped metal end that hook into the latch to release the cover have come out. (I avoided using the word thingy-ma-bob so hopefully this makes some kind of sense) How do I get the tension back in the wire so that it will hold when I get it back in?

2-Now for the really STUPID question. I am a self professed night person who has to hold a early morning job. Ergo I sleep walk through the firt few hours of my morning.

This morning with snow and ice on the road I felt it best to turn on the 4X4 for the drive to work. It wasn't until I drove the 20+ miles to work and went to turn off the 4X4 that I noticed I had put the switch in 4X4 low.:angry:

Since I never put it in nuetral did it ever go into low?

It drove fine the whole way and when I left work I intentionally got myself stuck in the snow and put it in 4X4 high and it clicked in and seemed to work fine.

Is there anything I should look out for?

i always look out for falling rocks when driving and a flock of birds while walking lololololol ( being a smart assshh )

honestly i wish i had the answer but i only have a 2 wheel drive st

sit tight i am sure someone will be able to answer you shirtly.

It didn't go into 4x4 low. It will only engage that when it's in park or neutral. Don't worry, I've done it before. The 4x4 light will just flash when that happens. You wouldn't have been able to go very fast if it was in. The RPMs peg like crazy when it's in low.

Unfortunately, I have a soft cover on the bed of mine, so I can't answer the first question.;)

beach trac - Your post is ironic because in order to keep the story short I left out the part about plowing down a bird that couldn't get out of the way because of the strong winds. :( It was just a bad morning all around. but thanks for making me laugh

stonemiser - Thanks. I'll quit worrying

Should be fine, whenever you get the chance just check the fluids to make sure everything is good and there is no burnt smell or discolored. Hopefully this helps, just make sure you check the fluids before too long.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts