Help ID a part

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny Kearns 2

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I just noticed a small "wet" spot in the driveway. Further inspection leads up to the area where the uppoer radiator hose connects to the engine. What is that part called that is connects to and could it be that the leak is somehow related to this part having issues? I did notice the coolant was about 1/2 gal low so I re-filled and ran the truck for a bit. I could not yet reproduce the leak....

any help - as always - greatly appreciated....

Benny

Check out this excellent tutorial link. The part you refer to is the upper thermostat housing.

Your leak is probably caused by the LOWER t-stat housing, literally coming apart at the seams.

Excellent - I will check this out.

Also, I noted that the fluid had somewhat of an oily consitency and leaves a stain on the driveway (unlike the pure coolant I placed as a test). Assuming this is coolant leaking, is i perhaps picking up something along the leaking route causing this?

b

Benny- Dried coolant does tend to have an oily consistency.

Usually leaves a white residue, as seen in the link pictures.

You can rent a coolant pressure tester for free, to simplify things.

P.S.- Please complete your profile so we know what year and engine you have. :supercool:

Last edited by a moderator:
That thermostat housing seems to go on all the Gen 1 trucks. Mine just went out 1 week out of Warranty.Dealer hit me for 400 and change.

And that's why we call them the "Stealership"

It's a simple project to perform. There are projects on how to do that kinda stuff on this website.

Check that stuff out, it can save you some mulah.

It's a simple project to perform. There are projects on how to do that kinda stuff on this website.

It's a high-fail part on the 4.0 SOHC engine. Mustang owners with this engine report it failing also. My failed on my Trac, and I think my total cost for a DIY repair was ~$150 for parts from Torrie along with new antifreeze.

Latest posts