HELP!!!!!! I Confused My ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Johnson 2

Reaction score
This weekend i converted my door switches and dash switches to blue leds (Thanks to Dan Long for a great and detailed project) but i took it one step further and changed my gauges to blue as well. However my Tach and Speedo are out of adjustment. Does anyone know how to correct this. I know im not going 130mph at 1200 rpm. Thanks

I had to battle with that... the best thing i did was purchase a scangauge 2 and it told me everything... set the needles accordingly.

you can also get on a highway and get someone to pull even with you at exactly 60mph and you could set it to get close....

be sure to post pics when you can.

This was what mine looked like when I did it.... when you got to adjust the needles get some off a late 90's explorer and they will be white... :

[Broken External Image]:

Since I bought gauges from speedhut... this is now:

[Broken External Image]:

gah!

i love the superman guage!!! lol

would match my truck amazingly!!! lol

very nice dude!!!

wish i felt comfortable enough to do all that:wacko:

There is a factory reset procedure, But I don't know if that is public knowledge...

Try searching the net...

The instructions should have told you how to install properly so this does not happen,,,,

Todd Z

A GPS would work to to get you a dead on accurate reading of speed to calibrate your speedometer.

Tom

this is how i did mine for my 01 ranger, and 99 ranger (and I did it with 03 trac gauges for both). My 99's are in the howto

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/tech/?p=131

of course I couldn't get a good pic of it

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

ScottG

Last edited by a moderator:
I did this project a couple years ago.

I had the dash out and had someone go down the road at 60mph and got up to the same speed...set the cruise, and stuck the needle on 60.

Your idle RPM should be about 1800-1900. I started it, let it idle for a couple minutes and stuck the needle on 1800.

If you hold the trip odometer button while turning the key on, you can put your cluster into diagnostic mode. Hold the button until the needles move and you hear a chime. You can keep pushing the button to get various codes and compare the tach and speedo to the cluster. This is on a Focus, but it works just as well for most vehicles that don't have a message center on the dash.

I'm glad the project worked out well for you. I added Speedhut gauges to mine to finish off the blue lighting, I wasn't crazy about the hot spots that the LED's seemed to leave in the gauges. Also, I didn't want to deal with trying to reset the needles. The best way to correct it would be to use a ScanGauge or similar device so you can see the exact values, there's also some programs you can get for a laptop, but you'll need an interface cable.

Sorry! I forgot the earlier clusters were analog, but if yours is digital and you have the lens off your cluster, you can use it if you have the needles off the tach and speedo to reset them. I would suggest having the wheels off the ground (safely, of course) instead of trying to drive and stick the needles back on!