HELP, HAVE TO DRIVE THE FAMILY AROUND TODAY BUT THE ST HAS BRAKE PROBLEMS!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Franklin

Reaction score
HELP! I did a brake job on my front brakes yesterday. New rotors, new pads, cleaned and lubricated everything. But when I am just about to come to a stop under 5mph I will get a slipping feeling in the brake, the st will roll forward and then eventually come to a stop, like i hit a patch of ice, then finally found dry pavement. It doesn't happen at ever stop though and the sound it makes only comes from the front left brake. I think maybe I got some pad lubricant on the rotor when I was re-installing everything. This morning I was going to pull the wheel and the caliper and reclean it with disc brake cleaner but I was just curious if anyone else had any thoughts.

Thanks in advance, oh yeah, How the heck are you supposed to get the bolts out of the top of the mounts of the rear shocks? I take it we have to drop the spare tire down and remove what ever fiddly bits stand in the way as well?

-Putz

Make sure there is no loose metal flakes stuck to the ABS sensor. It is pretty common after doing a brake job. The sensor is magnetic. There are normally metal flakes from the rotors and pads wearing. If a flake is stuck against the ABS Sensor then it thinks it is skidding and it releases the caliper as your about to stop...

I know nothing about brakes. However, on that left rear shock you will need to remove the spare, and the black plastic box will at least need to be loosened to pull it out of your way. It took me about an hour to swap that one out.

Well I removed the abs sensors, cleaned them, took the caliper off, replaced the pads with new, cleaned the rotors both sides multiple times. No luck. It still "slides" intermittantly when braking under 5mph. Otherwise, the brakes feel fine. @#$@#%@#$@#$@#$! JUST WHAT I NEEDED FOR CHRISTMASS! @#$@#$@#$@#$%@#$

did you put the cap to the master cylinder back on? did you open the banjo on the caliper, if so you may have air in your lines.

One question for you guys, on a 02 2wd track the slides that hold the caliper to the mounting bracket has two different types of slides. One is slotted with what looks like a grooved plastic piece at the end and the other is just a normal piece of steel shank with a flat notch cut into it. Anyway, I'm wondering now if I got those mixed up. Can anyone accurately tell me which positions they go in? Right now, I have the one with the plastic grooved piece in the upper bolt hole and the shank with the flat groove in the lower position.

01 Trac Mind, thank you for that post. I will pull the rotors off and check the rings.

Had the same problem, i pulled the ABS fuse...light is on, but no problems. in snow i like the feel of regular brakes better anyways...i hear the sensors are like $170 bucks-not worth it! ,or you can put new wheel bearings on it with the sensors for $260, also not worth it!

Andy

So lets think this through for a moment. If I pull the abs fuse, and the problem goes away, then we can discount a dragging caliper and focus on these primary items.

1. Dirt or air that was back flushed into the abs system when I compressed the calipers.

2. Dirt grime or metal flake in and around the sensor. (We can discount a faulty abs sensor because the abs is kicking in but it's getting a bogus signal)

3. Incorrect tolerances with the fan rings on the rotor causing the abs sensors to detect a slide.

1, not likely that you push air or dirt back into the system. It is a sealed unit. The piston would have had to come out of the inner and outer seal to allow dirt or moisture in...

2, yes

3, Yes..

Latest posts