HELP! ASAP! ST dies when put in drive!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael b

Reaction score
OK my truck was running just fine & all of a sudden it shudders & dies. Now it starts up just fine, idles just fine, will go into reverse & drive in reverse, but the second I put it into any forward gear it just instantly shudders & dies. Heres a bit of history that i dont know is important or not but it has had a whining noise when it is first started & run when cold. It kind of sounded like a supercharger whine but it didnt affect the drivability at all & its been making the noise for 6 months. Any ideas?

So, only Drive, 1 and 2 do not work? If it works in reverse, at least you can get it to a dealer. j/k

"Reverse is very similar to first gear, except that instead of the small sun gear being driven by the torque converter turbine, the bigger sun gear is driven, and the small one freewheels in the opposite direction. The planet carrier is held by the reverse band to the housing." -HowStuffWorks.com

Tonka,

I had this problem with my 01 Job 2...It ended up being a combination of several things..The main thing wrong was the ac compressor was low on freon..Do you hear a tick noise, and then the rpms jump around?? If so, your probably low on freon. The other things to check would be a dirty IAC valve and a dirty throttle body, as well as a dirty MAF sensor. Clean all of them and you should be set...There are projects listed for cleaning each of these...Also, i had to turn the idle screw up a tad bit,to fix this.

Edit: The whining noise seems like it could be a vacuum leak, which could be the infamous vacuum elbow broken...That would cause all of the problems you listed... Someone will chime in with this.

Good luck

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Mechanic says it might be torque converter. It's at the shop right now. I hope I don't need a whole trans. Still weird cause it is fine in reverse. The trans was always fine up to this moment--no slips etc. (except that da*n whining noise) hmmm

Don't we remember a while back a member needed Tonka's help, yet after NUMEROUS emails, posts, etc, Tonka NEVER even offered to help?

Tom

doesnt mean we cant help him... it shouldnt be expected that people get help, but I know that when I have an answer i will do my best to help out, whoever it may be

Big D, Luckily yes I can trust this mechanic. He's a personal friend with a private shop. God I'd hate to think what a fiasco this would be if I had to take it to the dealer. I'm still waiting to hear what his diagnosis is BTW.

Caymen, I dont remember getting any e-mails but I have about a dozen different e-mail address & only check my two main ones on a daily basis. The others are site specific & sometimes I dont check them for weeks or months, if at all. I also only visit this forum very infrequently so I miss out on most postings etc.

Dont get me wrong, I still love my TonkaTrac & all but it's more of "my good ol' truck" now since the newness has worn off. Besides, I was one of the very first people to own a sport trac & one of the very first to be a member of this site (back when I was "shabbadoobie") So after over 6 years around the Sport Trac world I kinda run out of interesting things to talk about :(

Shoot, I bought a new '07 Caliber a few months back & I NEVER go to those forums. Only this one sometimes & the old Corvette forums (until I sold my vettes)

So, Sorry if I missed some of you guys--no offense.