HELP ASAP! can I use regular mercon III for a 5 mile trip?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael b

Reaction score
I just put 5 quarts of regular Dexron III/Mercon in my 01 ST will it be ok to drive a few miles home & then switch it out to Mercon V? Opinions please

Last edited by a moderator:
Better safe then sorry...no.

You are unable to swap all the fluid out since there is no torque converter drain. Unless you completely flush the tranny, you will still have some incorrect fluid in it.

Tom

Thanks----I'll post later about my 9,000 dollar 30 day relocation to Tennessee & back:(

Guess I will leave the truck, drain the pan & refill with Mercon V. I wont drive it.

That's an expensive vacation. My parents did that once. We moved to Houston for a few days from Kentucky. Loaded everything in a U-Haul, drove to Houston and stayed with a relative for about two days. Dad found out that it was expensive to live in Houston, and he didn't find a job (hard to do in two days anywhere), and he loaded us back up in the truck for the drive back to KY. Cost him every cent we had. We lived with my grandparents for four months after that. He couldn't go back to his old job, and it took a while for him to find a new one.

I hope your experience was better than my parents' was.

Tonka!

What happened? I live in middle Tennessee and I was looking forward to meeting you

and my trac's Big Brother! Hope it all works out well for you!:)

In other posts, Tonka Trac stated he has:

"11" total...3" body lift, 3.5" lift spindles, 1-2" TT, Re-Arched rear leafs with full length AAL, 37" Toyo tires."

and he has 5.13 gears.

:)