HELP! 4x4 Not Engaging

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler Geddes

Reaction score
Hey All,

I went to throw my 2001 Sport Trac XLT 4.0L into 4x4 on Friday and it didn't click or anything. It almost sounds like its not getting power to the solenoid or whatever triggers the transfer case to switch to 4x4. I pulled out the manual and found that Location 6 in the power distribution box is the relay/fuse I need to check, but I have a really hard time relating location 6 on the diagram to the actual power distribution box.

If anyone else has had this problem and has any pointers, or if anyone can tell me which relay I should be checking (the exact location) I would be most appreciative. Also, are the relays the little black boxes or are they the multicolored "boxes" with the numbers written on the top of them?

Thanks

GeddesT

The wifes did this first snow this year it was a dirty switch. Turned it off and on 8 to 10 times and works fine I just tested it a couple days ago still good to go. Good luck. Bill

Are you talking about 4 high or 4 low? I know there is procedure to get the ST into 4 low. But there is also a relay in the passenger side kick panel, that goes bad.

Yeah what Chad said. A few of us have had problems with the module going bad. If yours is bad you will want to change it yourself and not pay a dealer over $100 extra for five minutes of effort. If you turn the switch to 4H you should hear a click sound from the passanger side kick panel. With you saying you don't hear a click that's most likely your issue. I paid $175 for the module back in January.

I talked to the shop foreman at my local Ford Dealer. He says to check the shift motor as well, as here in Canada they have seen a lot of problems with the motor. The price of a module from dealer up here is $318, I'm trying to find one at a wrecker, I'll get underneath the truck this weekend and see if I tap on the motor a bit if it starts working again. However my thought is, I should at least get the primary "click" from the module even if the motor isn't working, thats just my thoughts though.

Although the above mentioned items are a common issue, I would suggest you give some love taps to the engaging motor. Often, a rust ring will develop where the gear sits on the shaft. As a result, the motor can not push the gear past the rust ring.

Have someone turn the switch to 4X4 high while you tap on the motor with a fairly heavy hammer. DO NOT USE CRUSHING BLOWS, you are just tapping it to un-jar the motor is all...

My truck would not go into 4 low a couple times when offroading. But since then I engage/cycle it every once in a while to make sure the solenoid stays free from binding,and to prevent what coastiejoe is talking about. I have not had any problems since I started doing this.

Good luck with fixing.

Chad

had the same problem. when turned the switch on it use to click on/off while driving. Then finally used it again 3 months later at the end of the winter storm and it wouldn't turn on the light on dash or click. I took it out of the passenger side kick and didnt replace yet cause it is nice weather now. It is about $189 dollars here in Yonkers, NY. There's only 2 nuts holding it in place and the plug really easy to get to.