Hello Again Everyone

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ape

Reaction score
Well, I haven't been on the site for a while and I just wanted to drop a note and say hello. I still have the 04 Adrenalin and with the cost of gas, I either need to make her as fuel efficient as I can or get rid of her (I do not want to get ride of her). Well, I hope all is well with everyone.

Ape Out.

Ape,

Glad to hear you're still alive and kickin'! It has in fact been a while since we've seen you around here. I too have been debating getting rid of the ST for a more fuel-efficient vehicle. But the fact that my ST is paid for is a big thing to consider. I don't think I'll really be saving $$ by taking on payments again, even if it's for a more fuel-efficient vehicle, because I don't want a little econo-box. I would want something still somewhat useful for hauling stuff that gets a little better MPG. About the only thing that I can see that meets that criteria for me is an Escape or Escape Hybrid. But, like I said, I don't think I'd see a savings by taking on payments again.

So I guess like you, I'll just look for ways to make the ST more efficient.

I don't think I'll really be saving $$ by taking on payments again, even if it's for a more fuel-efficient vehicle, because I don't want a little econo-box.

Not only that, but you would have to spend less on a car payment than you do on gas to be even on what you spend right now. If I were to assume a car payment of $300/month to save gas, I would be throwing money away because I do not spend $300/month on gas.

Tom

TJR - :lol:

TrainTrac - I really need to get with some of the guys on here so I can upgrade the intake, exhaust and so on.

Caymen - True Dat!

Ape Out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear you're still alive and kickin'! It has in fact been a while since we've seen you around here. I too have been debating getting rid of the ST for a more fuel-efficient vehicle. But the fact that my ST is paid for is a big thing to consider. I don't think I'll really be saving $$ by taking on payments again, even if it's for a more fuel-efficient vehicle, because I don't want a little econo-box. I would want something still somewhat useful for hauling stuff that gets a little better MPG. About the only thing that I can see that meets that criteria for me is an Escape or Escape Hybrid. But, like I said, I don't think I'd see a savings by taking on payments again.

Although what you say is true that you would not be saving money with the car payment there is one thing to consider. I bought a small car and kept the trac and yes it did add a car payment so for now I am spending more money however I do not see the price of gas going down anytime soon and figured it was a good idea to buy the small car while I could still aford to.

But you have to not only consider the added expense of the car payment, but how long you'll be paying on that car, how much interest, and the added maintenance insurance costs of an extra vehicle. So all things considered, I don't think you really see a savings, especially if you buy a small car as an addition to, rather than a replacement for the ST.

And cost wasn't the only factor for me. I enjoy driving my ST, and I enjoy all the amenities on it (moonroof, power-down back glass, leather, etc.), and most econo-cars don't offer those features. Nor do they offer the room or comfort of a larger vehicle such as the ST.

my trac is paid for and being retitred I dont have a daily commute. Low miles on the trac. The trac is '04 paid cash. Retired in '05. I cant see jumping into an ecno box at this time. Be more money outa pocket than keeping the trac awhile longer. Also wifes escape gets 19 mixed and 27 hyway...

Again I see all your points but if you can aford to keep the trac and still buy something else it may be the way to go. Yes my insurance went up but not much as the miles on the two vehicles will be lower and yes i do have a car payment again but over time I should either break even or even save money. I could not see getting rid of the trac it is just too useful a vehicle. Also I did not want a "econo box" for a second vehicle so I got the Miata I posted a picture of a few weeks ago. Let me tell you the Miata is alot of fun to drive and even with my lead foot it still get 27 miles to the gallon. But the Miata does have its short falls like only two seats and a small trunk so the sport trac still gets alot of use.

Latest posts