heated seats

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 05 ST came with heated 8 way leather seats. I was wondering if any of the forum members have these seats. The drivers seat heater stopped working and although it's certainly not a biggie there are a few days in the winter I would love to have it working again. The push button and light work and as best as I can tell the fuse is good. I couldn't find any info in the owners manual regarding heated seats. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

How did you test the fuse?

If you are sure the fuse is good and not blown, then your next step would be to check the switch. That means it should have voltage going to the switch or you have a wiring or connector problem going to the seat. You should also have voltage coming out of the switch to the heating elements when the switch is turned on...if not you probably have a bad switch. If the switch is good but still no heat then you either have a wiring problem from the switch to the heating element, or the seat heating element is bad. That will require major disassembly of the seat to repair or replace the heating element.

update: I should add that most heated seats have a timer relay that shuts the heating element off after so many minutes when the seat has been warmed....so that could also be another component that can be tested similar to testing the switch.

....Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
The heating elements in the Gen 1 seats were notorious for failing. Happened twice in my '04 STA. Once under warranty, & later after the warranty expired. Never replaced it the second time before selling her in 2013.

I had this problem on my '03 several years ago. I took the seat apart and found the heating element wire broken in one spot. Replaced the broke section with heavy gauge wire and soldered it back together. My wife now owns the vehicle and it has not been a problem since.

Len