Heat/Air not cycling to Defrost

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Byington

Reaction score
I already made a search for my question but to no avail....

This problem just crept up out of the blue this past weekend, but here goes: I have a 2001 Job 2 Trac with roughly 120,000 miles on it and very few problems thus far. I have done all of the regular maintenance, etc. Anyways, now when I move the Climate control lever to the right into the two defrost settings (defrost/floor, defrost only), the air (hot or cold depending on temp. setting) blows out the vents in my face instead of cycling up to defrost the windshield.

The regular vent settings and A/C settings seem to work fine. I mean the A/C could be a little stronger, but I think that it is just a refigerant issue there.

Is there some sort of electric motor or fuse that might have popped which disabled the defrosters and caused the air to come out the vents? I don't know if this is a common problem, but I wasn't able to find anything with the search function.

I could be wrong, but I think it is a vacuum system that moves the blend doors. Some others have had the hose come off and then the blend doors no longer function.

I know some others on here fixed it themselves, I have never had to pull my dash apart so I can't help you out. Hopefully someone will chime in soon. Maybe check the projects section for radio removal/installation and that will show you how to remove that part of the dash and you might be able to see something from there. Can you see anything from underneath looking up?

Well it looks like an electrical actuator is at fault. The problem is that there are 3+ of them and it is going to be necessary to remove the dash to get to it. Has anyone done a complete dash removal themselves?

They said that it's an all day job which will run about $500 for the labor to replace a $50 part. Ugh....

Latest posts