Health insurance question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred

Reaction score
I have a friend looking for a good (meaning cheap :p) place to get individual health insurance on herself. Anyone KNOW of a good place? I've googled, but I was wondering if any fellow ST'ers have any first hand knowledge or recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

BTW - I'll be away from the PC from now until probably tomorrow.

Is she looking for long term or short term coverage? Does she need maternity benefit? What state is home state? Let me know and I may be able to direct you. I am only licensed in ND and MT, but I can possibly refer you to other states. If you do not want to answer for the world to see, my email is [email protected]

Rod

Rod

can you get me and my wife (both 60) health ins, with a 5k deductable, for less than 8 k per yr, never had a claim, self employed.

Rod, She's looking for long term. No maternity benefit. Home state is NC. DOB 5/14/1953.

Thanks!

Also, check with some of the HMO's in her area. Many offer different plans with different rates, coverages, co-pays and deductables. The major drawback is that most plans require you to only see the doctors who are in their network Some doctor's who are not in these special HMO plans will agree to accept the fees the HMO pays, so if she has a favorite doctor, she might still be able to keep that doctor, if the doctor will accept the rules and fees of the HMO Of course some will and some won't?

...Rich

I'm surprised no one else mentioned an HSA (Health Savings Account) or an HRA (Health Reimursement Arrangement). They are supposedly the "wave of the healthcare future", and very promising for young, healthy, single folks because they are cheap. Most medical insurance providers have some flavor of HSA or HRA.

The link below is to a document that describes the differences of HRA and HSA for the self-employed (aka those buying their own insurance).

TJR

Thanks again, everyone. I gave her all this good info. We'll see what happens.

Latest posts