headrest complaint

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marlon giese

Reaction score
There is one thing that's a bit of a drag with my 2004 ST and that is the position of the headrest. How come they lean so far backwards? You can't use them unless you have a deformed neck or the truck is stopped. Now I know they are not supposed to be a "comfort" feature but my gosh, they are not anywhere close to that. My wife disliked the headrest so much, she fabricated a pillow to put on it which is a lot better. Has anyone else done a similar mod?

In my case, the headrest doesn't even come close. The top of it (even when extended) is only high enough to catch my neck....but 6' 6" comes with it's challenges.

Good luck with your solution!

It's possible that your headrests have been turned around. I turned mine around ('10 Limited) because they were too far foward for my comfort.

They can be removed by pressing the clips on both pillars while pulling up. Then nreverse and re-install.

My new 2012 Kia Soul has active headrests that are so soft and hit the back of my head perfectly....even at 6-3. So much more comfortable than my 2001 ST.

My wife's 2010 Honda Pilot's headrests are very soft and much more comfortable than my 2010 Limited Trac's headrests. The Trac's headrests push my head too far forward. In fact, the seat pushes the top of my body too far forward as well. I drive with my seatback reclined more than I would normally like (because it is a stretch to reach the steering wheel), and my head is constantly resting on the headrest. Wish the seats were a little different in the Trac, and I'd give my left nut to have a telescoping steering wheel too.

Ford seems to have screwed the pooch when designing headrests.