Headlights

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith S

Reaction score
Is there a way to turn off or disable the automatic headlights when shifted into gear? Note: not talking about the selection knob.

Just to clarify, you're referring to the DRL (daytime running lights), correct? If so, I do not believe you can disable them. Gov regulations required vehicles to have DRLs and I believe the years our Gen2 came out, the regulations were in effect.

Let me rephrase Keith...as a end-user, I dont believe Ford gives us the option to disable this feature. However, I believe it's a CAN-BUS item and can be programmed to be disabled via computer. The dealer should be able to do this.

I'm sure others have tried to create a work-a-round and have been successful.

Looking at the schematic for the '01, it appears that the low beam has two sets of wires, one from the headlight switch and one from the DRL module. It might be as simple as removing the fuse to the DRL module (if you're into that sort of workaround). A switch could be installed on the wire to the DRL module, so that the DRLs can be selected on or off.

From what I could find, DRLs were never required in the U.S. - they were permitted (beginning with the 1995 model year) by the NHTSA. The NHTSA did set limitations on the intensity of the lighting used, but not that they be required on a vehicle. In 2001, GM petitioned the NHTSA to have DRLs required, but was denied in 2009 ["... the agency remains neutral with respect to a policy regarding the inclusion of DRLs in vehicles ..."].

I am pretty sure back in 01 all you have to do is unplug the DRL Module and you will have normal headlight operation, we used to switch Taurus/Sables back and forth all the time when I worked in Calibration.

You didn't include it, but it's in your profile. I underlined "'01" because that is the information I have, and that it may or may not apply to the '07. I suspect that the '07 is similar.

If the DRL module can simply be unplugged or removed, too easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a GenII the SJB (smart junction box) controls the headlight functions. The SJB pulses the power wire to the headlights so that they light up at reduced intensity to get DRL's. I'm not sure but I don't think that DRL's are something that can be turned on or off when setting up parameters in the SJB. I've never looked though. If one were to setup a new SJB and not program it using Ford's "as built" programming I think you could choose to not have DRL's.

I've never heard of the Gen1 or Gen2 Sport Trac having DRL in the USA. None of mine ever had that function. I just use my parking light option for that. So, I assume this conversation applies to outside the US? Perhaps Canada?

Latest posts