Headlight or Electrical Issue?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cynthia Grant

Reaction score
About 1 or 2 years ago I put Silverstar headlight bulbs in my 2003 ST (165K miles). Last night for the first time I found that the left bulb is not working on low - it only works when I put on the high beams. Since it is the same bulb for both high and low beams, I assume the bulb itself is not burned out. Could this be an electrical problem?

Not long ago I also noticed that the light bulb in the dash behind the gas gauge was out, but then it was back on the next time I drove the truck (it has gone out a couple of times since, but is now back on). There have also been issues with the electric locks - the buttons on the driver and passenger sides will both unlock the truck, but will not lock it. It still locks and unlocks fine with the remote fob and the door keypad.

Could these issues be somehow related to the headlight issue? I don't currently have a mechanic that specializes in electrical work, so have not gotten any diagnosis yet. Thanks for any insights!

One bulb, but two filiments in each bulb. Your bulb is likely burned out.

I like the brighter bulbs, but I cannot get more than 6-8 months out of a set of SilverStars. They have a very short lifespan.

The shorter SilverStar life is a matter of physics...

To burn brighter, the filaments are designed to burn hotter and that shortens life.

The back of the packages make note of the shorter life on the comparison chart.

Back to the original question, x2 on bulb replacement.

I've gotten to the point where I keep spare Silverstars on hand because they burn out relatively quickly. I get mine off eBay.

Q) How long do the headlights last?

A) The life of any halogen bulb varies based on vehicle type, vehicle voltage, amount of time the bulb is on, road conditions, proper installation, and correct application. The average life of SilverStar? headlights is approximately ONE year. With our SYLVANIA SilverStar? products, the primary goal is to offer the brightest, whitest light. Research has shown SilverStar? headlights improve driver visibility and reaction time. However, since our SilverStar? headlights are up to 35% brighter and our SilverStar? ULTRA headlights are up to 50% brighter than standard halogen, they may have a shorter life span compared to our other products. We offer a wide variety of products to satisfy customer needs including brightness, durability, color options and increased visibility. We recommend evaluating your headlights annually as part of your regular vehicle maintenance.

Surprised to see this, I've had mine over three years. However, I don't drive at night very much. :grin:

Last edited by a moderator: