Headlight issue?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Crockett

Reaction score
My '04 ST (I bought it new) has a headlight out (low beam out; high beam works normally). Normally a simple fix, but I was busy at work and didn't get to it for about a week and a half, and then suddenly, it began to work again, all on it's own, for about a week (now out again). I added a DRL module several years ago; could that be failing? Is there an inexpensive way to check that?

First check the socket that plugs onto the light capsule. I just replaced the socket on a freinds ford. The low beam pin was bad. It got pushed back where no contact was made.

You should also try moving your tilting steering wheel up and down and see if that makes the light go on an off at different positions.

The reason: Gen-1 Sport Trac's are known to have problems with insufficient slack in the wiring in the steering column and tilting the steering wheel can cause the wires in the column to break or pull loose from the connector, often making intermittent connections.

Since ignition, starter, accessories, wipers, headlights, taillights, turn-signals, horn, and even your brake lights go through the steering column. This often causes some very strange "Now it's off, and now it's on" problems with any of those systems.

The cure is to take off the bottom column cover and insure that there is enough slack in the wiring harness when the wheel is tilted through it's full range. also check that no wires are broken or pulled out of the connector.

....Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
corrosion- the inspection station was about to fail me on a blown headlight- I went up to and gave it a Fonzie with my fist and it cam e back on... passed inspection. cleaned the contacts when I got home...

Latest posts