Headlight bulb replacement recommendations

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffksf B

Reaction score
I've noticed that my headlights seem not quite as bright as our other car (2008 Honda Odyssey) so it got me to thinking as far as I know the bulbs are original. What have others found to be a good replacement bulb? I haven't replaced a headlight bulb in very long time so I don't really know anything about these newer replacements.

Thanks, Jeff

Not to be flip, but are your lens covers in good shape? The plastic deteriorates, as we've all seen. As far as bulbs go, I had good experience with Sylvania upgrade bulbs - I think I paid about $30 for a pair at O'Reilly.

Hard for me to compare because I've only had the stock ST lamps. Replaced them with Silverstar Ultras and 3 years later they're still great. :supercool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a strong second for the Sylvania silver star ultras.. they are great have had them in my last 3 vehicles... only problem is if you have a lifted Sport Trac lots of people wont like you... but thats there problem..:driving:

I had the SS bulbs, then upgraded to the SS-Ultras when they came out. The Ultras lasted about three years, and I replaced them with the SilverStar zXe bulbs last year. They're a little brighter & whiter than the Ultras.

I am also using the Silver Star Ultras. I also upgraded my fogs to Silver Star bulbs. Very good combo!! Even my wife immediately recognized the difference, and now I have done the same combo on her Explorer. But to be honest I have always thought the headlights on the Sport Trac are not too good. Our Explorer had much better light even when it still had standard halogens.

Halogens will get a little bit dimmer as they age. I second Silverstars or Silverstar Ultras. I like the Silverstar turn signals too. They look blue but light up amber.

[Broken External Image]:

Very happy with the upgraded lighting, much improved! I don't need to drive with my fog lights on anymore. No real blueness to them just brighter.

Curious to see how long they last, some reviews stated anywhere from 6 months to 3 years.

Seeing how my truck most likely had the orginal bulbs in them from 2001 I'm kinda hoping I don't have to replace them before the truck is gone....

I've had my Ultras in for about 2 and a half years know and I used to do mostly night driving on backroads so the Hi beams go on and off a good bit. Hopefully you'll see the same longevity as me.