headed to key west

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henry tanner

Reaction score
i am headed to key west for about 2 days what is there do for fun. i don`t drink so that is out. and i won`t have the st. where is a good place to eat and have fun etc?

thanks

hdt

If you like to fish, and can afford to do so, charter one of the deep sea boats for a day or half day, and catch some dolphin (the fish, not the mammal, some also call it dorado or mahi) and/or some sailfish.

If you do, look into what it would take to get that fish frozen and sent back to you (or that you can take back yourself, if you can manage to keep it frozen yourself). There are few things tastier in this world than dolphin. And/or, there are a number of restaurants in the area which will cook your catch for you. Single best meal I've had in my life was dolphin we had just caught on a charter which was cooked up for us at Sundowners in Key Largo.

Photo from earlier that day...

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do your research ahead of itme(I'm sure it won't take long to find a charter online), you may be able to find a charter who would be willing/able to take you out, and then when you get back, pack, freeze, and ship your catch in dry ice. If you have someone at home while you're gone to receive such a package and get it to the freezer, it could still work. I've heard of people doing it from the Key Largo area; I have to assume there are charters in Key West who do it too.

Another option for something to do--I found Key West to be a good place for biking. When I was down there, I would always bring my own bike, so I don't know if there are rental places or things like that. But if that's up you're alley, I'd check into it.

Lastly--consider a trip to Dry Tortugas National Park. Contrary to what many people think, Key West is not the furthest west you can go in the Keys--it's just the furthest west you can go by either car or rail. But there are plenty of islands further west, many of which are part of Dry Tortugas National Park. There are regular excursions by both speedboat and by plane which take people to the park's headquarters, which is in an old fort, Fort Jefferson. Makes for a fun day trip. Touring the fort is very interesting, and the snorkeling from there is top-notch!

Last edited by a moderator:
Capt. Tony's, just to check it out. Hogs Breath Saloon, great to sit outdoors and people watch. The cigar factory is neat, watch them hand-roll cigars. OOH, Mel Fisher's museum, with the treasure of the Atocha. That is really cool!! Ernest Hemmingway's house, there are 6-toed cats all around it. There is so much more, Turtle Krawls, Raw Bar and Margharitaville. All good places to eat. Bob

Margaritavilles are always good. Even if you don't drink, they have some really good food, although I'm particular to the Cheeseburgers

And be sure to have some Key Lime Pie! I'm trying to remember the name of the place that I thought was the best I had down there--Was it the Blonde Giraffe or something like that?

I would recommend NOT wasting your time to go to the "southernmost point in the continental US". It's just a goofy-looking (kind of like a giant candy corn) marker on a street corner. And when you get there, it's clear to see that it's not legitimate, as there's plenty of island south of that point--it just happens to all be on the military base to your right, and therefore off-limits to the public.

well i am NAVY so i could go to the areas that are off limits. i will be limited to walking so i can only go so far and i will only have one day off i have duty the next day and then we leave.