Has anyone replaced the vinyl on your high-series console lid?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Byington

Reaction score
My dad needs to replace the console lid for his 1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer. The vinyl has torn where you rest your right elbow when you drive. I am beginning to have the same problem on my 2001 Sport Trac.

We looked on eBay for a replacement console lid, and it seems to be about $40-50. However, there is a business on eBay that either re-covers the lid for you (if you send it off to them) or sends you a kit to do it yourself.

I was wondering if anyone had used this service before or used the kit. We will both be buying it and we are leaning towards the Do-it-yourself kits.

By the way, if these guys have such a successful business doing this, then it really means that Ford's console is CRAP for everyone :blink:

In fact I'm sure that other people on this site have had this problem. Let me know what you think. Thanks.....

I have the same problem in my 01 ST. Tan starting to show dark only mine is on the drivers armrest on the door.

Last edited by a moderator:
The grey on my 01 has held up well color-wise, but there's a dent where my elbow always sits. If it gets too deep, I'm going to have to replace the foam underneath or something.

I replaced mine in my '01, and I think it may have been the same people you listed on ebay there. They did a great job and turnaround was a only a couple days. Teh tan I got did not exactly match the rest, but it had to be pointed out for someone to notice. When I sold my trac I told the new owner when he was looking at it and he had not noticed. The material they recovered it with was a better quality (More leather like) than the factory stuff...

I recovered my own, purchased some genuine naugahide (sp?) and did it on my kitchen table. Color is almost a perfect match. Only issue is be very careful, the plastic tips the screws go into break off very easily. I also used a little hot glue to hold it in place until I could put the mounting ring back on.

My entire arm rest recently broke!!! I went to flip it up and it flew straight back into the back seat. Cracked completly away from the lower half. Luckily, I found this company that has a replacement kit for the arm rest. It's a metal refit which should be much better than the original plastic from the factory. Check out www.rockauto.com. Part number ARM100 {Steel, Powder-Coated Armrest Bracket / Repair Kit}

OE Replacement Bracket; Fits stand-alone (flip-up style) armrest with cupholder;.

Here's a direct link to the "project info pics": http://info.rockauto.com/Heritage/armrest.htm

Just replaced the El Cheapo plastic under portion of my arm rest with an all steele version. fits like a charm...only downside is now I don't have the cup holders...oh well...at least I have my armrest back again!!!

Latest posts