Harmonic Balancer Failure

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Stehle

Reaction score
My harmonic balancer failed today on the way to work. Read up on here while at work to find the problem with my squealing, dropped by the parts store and got a new belt, tension pulley, and idler pulley, and went on my way. Installed everything when I got home only to find the real problem with the harmonic balancer, which had separated. I attempted to push the pulley back into place temporarily, installed the belt, and it immediately popped back out of place as soon as I started the engine.

I was going to visit family for the 4th, but there's no way I'm going to get this fixed in time. To make things even more awesome, I'm in an apartment with limited tools, so I get to pay someone a fortune to do it too! And tow the truck there! yippe :angry:

Im in college and don't have the time or tools to fix it. I had to pay $385 for it installed along with a new serpentine belt.

I see all three of you have an '04 model year. Was there something specific about that year or just a coincidence? Should I have to worry about my '05?

:driving:

I've heard of it happening on '05s as well. Apparently it can be really bad, but I'm not quite sure why. Of course it can be bad if the serpentine goes off track and/or breaks, then you lose everything it's powering (and cooling your engine). My serpentine is running smoothly on the rubber portion, and all of my pulley's are turning, so hopefully I didn't do too much damage in the 30 miles I drove to work and back yesterday.

Should I be OK driving another 3 miles to the shop? The belt is staying on the rubbery portion of the harmonic balancer reliably, and is spinning everything fine with minimal sqeaking. I know i'd have to keep an eye on temp in case it came off.

all fixed, 389$ installed for harmonic balancer (plus 85$ from yesterday - belt, idler pulley, and tension pulley). Unfortunately, I park in a parking garage, so I would have had to drive it out anyway to get towed, then the shop was a couple more minutes away.

On a side note - Jack Williams Tire / Auto shop (I think mostly eastern PA) had me drop off the truck, confirmed the problem, got the part from a Ford dealer, and installed in 2 1/2 hours. My first experience with them. I prefer small garages, but time was important as I needed the truck for tomorrow to go visit family. Overall a very positive experience, although I already noticed some clear coat scuffs on both my front fenders, so I'll have to hit them with the buffer quick.

You'll know Bob...Mine started squealing really bad because the belt was slipping (when the harmonic balancer separated, my belt stayed on track but the portion of the balancer that the belt is supposed to ride in slid back toward the engine about an inch. There is more slack in the system, so SQUEAL). If the belt came off, you'd get error lights I'd imagine. Basically, if you suddenly lose power steering, ac, alternator light comes on, anything like that, pull over and turn the engine off so it doesn't overheat. Then look down and see if your belt is not riding in the harmonic balancer correctly.

My Trac had symptoms that were similar to a rough idle and a regular tapping or clicking noise. The noise was probably coming from the seam in the belt passing over the balancer pulley.

Yeah it will squeek like a mother. It started kinda soft at first but then it got to the point where heads were turning when you drove by and I just said screw this and took it in.

so mines got this chirping sound,only in the am.and only for a little while. i replaced the belt tensioner and pulley but a few weeks later it came back but like i said it only happens when i first start up at 330am. could this be the start?

I'd replace the belt with the 1/2" shorter one Bob...it's possible that the belt isn't worn but has something on it. Mine had a little squeak when turning sharp at slow speed for a while after I was careless with some engine detail spray. In my case, the harmonic balancer failure was immediate...it was fine one second and then completely separated and squealing the next. You noise sounds like just the belt, possibly the idler pully.