Hard Transmission shifts into reverse

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony Jones

Reaction score
My 08 V6 2WD Trac has around 53k on it. I haven't been driving it much the last 6 months as I've been driving my wife's 4 banger. I noticed yesterday that my Trac now slams into reverse when backing out of parking spaces. Any thoughts/background on trouble shooting and what this ultimately means?

That was a problem with some 2003/2004 model Sport Trac because the factory installed the wrong fluid??? (go figure?) Ford did a recall of the effected vehicles and had dealers ad a friction modifier to the transmission to replace what the factory did not install. At least that's what they claim the problem was?

I have not heard of many Gen-2 transmission problems but there has been a history of problems with the Explorer/Sport Trac transmission. The 5 speed is just an upgrade of the 4 speed, and the 6 speed is also the same tranny with another gear added. The tranny is a weak design going all the way back to the mid 1990's.

If you decide to get a rebuild tranny, don't go to Ford...there are a number of tranny rebuilding shops that offer upgraded, heavy duty rebuild trannys for all generations of the Sport Trac..even racing transmissions.

...Rich

Thanx for the input, Rich.

My Trac only sees city driving. I might haul trash or a piece of furniture every now and then, but no towing or hilly terrain here. I'll see if I can check the levels this weekend and if it's fine, I'll look into some rebuilders.

I'm also going to wait on a few more replies to come in.

I did this re-learn procedure on my fathers 07 V6 RWD. It helped substantially with the delayed engagement and slam from Park to Reverse.

Video: How To Clear your PCM'S Memory on Fords After Repairs

Last edited by a moderator:
Video: Fill & Adjust Transmission Fluid Level- Ford Explorer 5R55S

Here's the tool I used: http://www.amazon.com/OTC-6604-Transmission-Fluid-Adapter/dp/B000JFJMFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407187377&sr=8-1&keywords=otc+ford+transmission

Video: Ford Explorer 5R55S Harsh Reverse & P0741 TCC Performance Valve Body Replacement

Look in the description of the video. There is a link to the Solenoid Pack Removal as well.

So the order I would follow is this:

1) check transmission fluid level and condition

2) do the re learn procedure

3) call Ford to see if you have the latest PCM update on your Trac(this may help.may not)

-if not helping go to 4

4) do a "pan drop" to change the filter

5) repeat step 2

-if not helping go to 6

6) change the solenoid pack/reverse servo (im guessing/my knowledge stops after step5:))

Here's another video on the fluid check:

Thanks for all the information, Mark. Looks like I have my work cut out for me. I called around as I was mentally in my 'screw it' made and I'm looking at anywhere from a $1500 to $2500 repair depending ont he problem. "SCREW THAT!. LOL

I'll try what I can and if it all fails, then I'll scrounge up the ducketts.

Folks keep the info coming. I'm sure I'm not the only person with this problem.

No Problem. From what I understand, the 5R55S can develop a lot of issues. Bore wear, broken bands,etc.. There are a ton of informational youtube videos and web pages on the 5RR5S. In my opinion, if after doing a pan drop, re-learn, and PCM update, etc, whether it helps or not I would just leave it be if your only issue is a delay/clunk in to reverse. I have actually read online, believe it or not, that some dealerships and others have told customers "it is normal" for the clunk. :fire:

I have been told by FORDTECHMAKULOCO that the 5RR5s definitely shifts through the gears harder than the 5R55E(Gen1 ST).

Just an update, life happens and you don't get to do nearly what you plan to do.

I didn't drop the pan although I have everything on hand to do so. I did perform the PCM reprogramming and there's a huge improvement in the shifting and the reverse 'clunk' doesn't happen every time. When it shifts into reverse properly, the shift is SMOOTH. When it does shift hard it is an immediate shift and not the delayed 'clunk' I was getting before.

Sometime in the financial future (new term I just coined to mean I'm currently cash strapped) I'm just going to have bores drilled and sleeved and improved bands installed. Considering the other problems I AM NOT having with this truck, and the fact that a Crew Cab Ranger/F100 type vehicle isn't in the making any time soon, and nothing besides an F150 Regular Cab will fit into my garage, This Trac has another 20 years or so to give me. $2500 is well worth that investment.

Latest posts