hard start

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 2001 sport trac is having a hard start. I already changed spark plugs and fuel filter but the problem is still there. How do I know if I already need to change the fuel pump?

It does start, however, after 4-5 tries.

Please help me with this problem.

Is Check Engine Light on? If you suspect fuel pump issue you'll need to do a fuel pressure test. There's lots of YouTube videos available, one linked below.

if the other responses do not work, the fuel pump sounds like the issue. My 2002 did the same thing. the pump would stop on a dead spot in its windings, and not start until a few tries. eventually, it quit altogether. I nursed it for 3 years before replacement.

Help us help you.

Under what conditions does it do this (cold start, hot start, after sitting five or 10 minutes, either, always)?

@ roberto -Thanks for posting this topic. I am having the same issue but haven't really paid much attention to it. I have 270,776 miles on my 2001 ST.

@Yardsale...mine does it mostly during a warm/hot start after sitting from a few minutes to 2-3 hours. Not a problem with cold starts.

There is a known fuel pump check valve problem where it won't hold fuel pressure in the system when the pump is off. It is associated with heat buildup on the fuel delivery near the engine. It's sort of a vapor lock condition.

A "test" (such as it is) is, when this occurs, cycle the key to run several times leaving it in that position for 10 to 15 seconds each time (allowing the fuel pump to run several times and pressure the system) and then try to start.

This noted, typically allowing it to sit for 30+ minutes would be enough to cool and lower the vapor pressure such that that pump could pressurize on one start cycle, so this may not be the problem (but - the "test" is easy and free (and where ya going anyway?)).

Last edited by a moderator:
I've begun seeing the same symptoms on my '02. From a cold start (about 45 minutes or longer after having the truck running), the engine will not start on the first try like it used to very recently. I can hear the fuel pump whining when the key is turned to the run position, and the truck idles and runs fine after I get it started in 4-5 attempts. Fuel trims and everything look fine with no codes stored. Mine has 171,000 miles on it. What should I try to check first? I have a video of the hard start, ignore the guy saying its a fuel pump (unless he's right) and also don't cringe at the revving when it's started.... I don't usually do that. Temperature outside tonight in Carrollton was in the 60's, so not too cold.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts