hard shift into reverse when cold

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Harrer

Reaction score
In the morning, when the truck has not run all night it clunks hard into reverse. After a bit of driving the problem goes away until the next morning. Could someone offer me an explanation as to what is going bad?

Is trans fluid level correct? Total miles on truck and miles since last fluid/filter change? There are many transmission issue threads on this forum; IMO most of them are related to infrequent fluid servicing. Owners here with high-mileage Tracs (and other cars too) and no transmission problems will probably say it's due to their spending a little extra on fluid changes.[Broken External Image]:

I recently put new fluid and filter when I replaced the valve body. I was having the 2-3 flair which is now gone. 2 weeks later this has started. My research has pulled up possibilities of bad u joints or worn splines in the yoke. I was hoping someone else has faced this issue and found the fix. The trac shifts fine other wise. And after I have driven a little the it no longer clunks into reverse. It's only upon the first start up of the day. I have 173000 miles

Hadn't thought about driveshaft pieces, but that could be it. Notice any noise from that area or differential while driving?

Latest posts