Hard Drive Questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
I have a Medion Laptop that is about 4 years old. On our trip to Punta Cana, the HDD started to make some odd clicking noises. I have a feeling, the HDD is on its way out.

I am considering replacing the 40 GB HDD with a 120 GB one.

I would rather not replace the Laptop since there is nothing wrong with it and it runs great.

I would rather NOT relaod windows onto the new HDD, but transfer all the data from the currant HDD onto the new HDD.

What program can I use and how does it work?

Tom

back up your data ASAP. Your HD is on its way out. Windows does offer a back up utility.

As for operating system, I use a free linux based OS. You can review any info at http://www.ubuntu.com

As for hard drives, you may run into an issue with the bios and larger HD's. A bios update may correct the drive size issue.

This machine is a P4 2400 MHz. It still screams.

I know how copying an HDD works, I want to know how well does it work?

Tom

I am using Ubuntu on my desktop. It is nice, but I am spoiled by Windows XP thinking for me. New devices are found automatically in Windows, but I'm not so sure about Ubuntu. Also some websites don't work, like XM Radio through the AOL website.

It works well. I do weekly back ups at work. Usually takes me 5 hours, but were talking tons of data. We lost a server do to a crashed hard drive. Put the new drive in, we were up in a short time. I haven't had any issues. Pretty straigth forward.

I agree Ubuntu does have some issues. The new release 7.10 should be coming out soon.

When a hard drive clicks it usually means there are BAD Sectors caused by magnetic failures on the disk surface. Search google there is a program that claims to be able to fix magnetic failure problems. Or if you can get into windows you can run a surface scan to find and fix bad sectors.

If the drive clicks and does not get recognized by the BIOS then chances are its done. If it clicks on the way into windows then chances are its bad sectors.

If its a laptop the hard part is going to be cloning the hard drive because you can only install one hard drive in a laptop at a time. So you need to buy an adapter to plug it into a desktop USB port.

You cant just copy the entire drive it has to be cloned so that the boot secotor and hidden files are copied as well.

Acronis Disk Duplicator is what i use, its not free but it has worked flawless for me even when drives have bad sectors.

:D

If push comes to shove, Tom... take the old HD and the new HD to a pc shop and they can clone it. I had my laptop done that way and it cost me 35 bucks. Just a thought.

Personally I would back up my data including all pictures, musics, docs, etc. and then do a fresh Windows install on a new hard drive. Your laptop may be running fine but nothing beats a clean windows install for speed and performance. You don't want to bring any of the old problems onto the new drive. Yes, it takes time but it is worth it.

George

Chances are if the drive is clicking you may not be able to clone it.

I've had lots of success with Norton Ghost, but never had success with a clicking drive.

I'm not saying you won't be able to get data off it, but the clone will more than likely fail.

It only clicked a few times. I have no trouble accessing the drive or using the PC. As of right now, the HDD is working like it should. I just know it is time to start working on replacing it.

Tom

I have been there many times, and you’re lucky to get a sign of the issue you’re facing soon.

Back up your data, then back it up again, and replace your drive ASAP. Try newegg.com, great service and selection.

Then reinstall Windows, its better that way. It’s like changing your oil, just makes things run better and is worth the time.

Making your worn drive reach to places it has not in a while (copying/cloning) is asking for trouble.

Latest posts