Hand-Held GPS, looking for one. What do you have? Like / Dislike?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Palmer

Reaction score
I want to throw one in the console of my Jet Ski.

My new skis have have 20 gallon tanks and we plan on taking some longer trips. I would like to throw and affordable GPS in the console so I have one in the event I need it...

Looking for info on what you have? What you like or dislike about it? General price?

Thanks in advance...

Kevin,

I have two Tom-Tom's. They are the smaller, cheaper models but they work great and get me where I want to go. I have not had the occasion to use them for water navigation, so I cannot comment on how well they would work for that. They do have walking and bike riding navigation, but I don't recall seeing anything about water navigation.

Advantages to the Tom-Tom are the cheap price, small size, you can download new firmwhare online and maps are available online as well.

I also have a Garmin iQue which is a GPS system built into a Palm-Pilot type of PDA. It also worked very well but was nearly $500 about 10 years ago. Since I got my Tom-Tom's I don't ever use the Garmin and I'm sure the maps are way out of date by now.

I went to Hawaii and took my Tom-Tom with me in my carryon luggage. When I got to Hawaii and got my rental car, I plug in the Tom-Tom and drove all around the Big Island, as well as Oahu (Honolulu) and it worked flawlessly.

...Rich

Garmin has an EXPENSIVE gps....

GARMIN GPSMAP 478

Portable Color Chartplotter with Preloaded Street and built-in marine charts coverage for all U.S. coastal areas and Great Lakes

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a TomTom Go630 and love it. Like RichardL said, the maps are easy to update. I am "directionally challenged" so it is very helpful to me. I love being able to plug the itenerary in and just go. I also like the walking instructions. I went to CA for business and wanted to find some resturants within walking distance of the hotel. I told Tom to find resturants near my location and he gave me all of the options and we set off.

I will admit that some of my favorite feature have nothing to do with navigation, like the Darth Vader voice that I installed and the picture of the back of my truck that I use as the car icon. Darth is very good at telling me to "Stay in formation" and while I have reached many destinations, I am not a Jedi yet...but I keep hoping.

LaRue...

That is pricey for what I want, but it is very nice. I has some super cool options. I may just spend the money for the coolness factor.

I will look for the disk you want later today....

My 2010 Sea Doo has a lock in spot for a GPS. I suppose I should see what models fit and look at that as an option as well.

The storage door in front of where you ride is molded to accept the GPS itself. It is set up to be hard wired as well if you wish.

Hmmmm

Found a picture of it....

1d7a1b14d3f8ddd977ab81d84b890144.jpg

Found the info. Looks like the Garmin Etrex GPS is a direct fit.

That said, anyone have this and what is your opinion of it?

Here is a picture of it and a picture of it within the console cover... (The lower picture shows the Garmin 76 series in the console, but same mentality)..

dc732e4a7be0b98a7f187a1e328d762f.jpg

47ba762b358a4e59f99a9d4bcfaf2652.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts