Hand crank start my car.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wes Davis

Reaction score
LOL I ran across these instructions while Googling. How come we no longer have this feature on our cars? Is it because compression is too high or something like that? If that is the case what cars do you think that are out there that could possible be hand cranked.

If one had the muscle to crank a modern day engine, I imagine it could be done. BUT, would hate to see the outcome if the crank handle got "caught"!

Just like the days of hand propping an airplane.

Speaking of the airplanes. Did they really have engines that fired off of blank shotgun shells like in the movie Flight of the Phoenix? Once again if so why not have this as an accessory for modern cars. LOL

Did they really have engines that fired off of blank shotgun shells like in the movie Flight of the Phoenix?

Yep. That's how it was done if the batteries were dead, according to my dad, who was an aircraft mechanic in the Korean War period.

Yep.

Like bill said, since radial engines had too many cylinders to hand prop start when electrical power wasn't available, they were started with an electrical / expolsive charge.

And as Mark stated, during the early jet age (Korean War) an explosive charge was introduced into the combustive chamber of jet engines to get the turbines spinning "started" when all else failed!

Don't know about the movie though. I haven't seen it.

Dave you have to check out both the original and the remake. Very good movies. Make sure you see the original first.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059183/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0377062/

classic vid for sure, just imagine the mechanism involved to start engines with blank shells, had to be interesting for sure.

I used to HATE it when my dad would make me prop start our planes!! There's nothing like grabbing hold of a big a$$ blade and pulling it as hard as you can, hoping you let go and get out of the way before it catches and starts spinning at a million RPM!!:blink::wacko:

Wait, did I read this right?!

"At this point there should be gas running slightly from the carburetor to the floor." Uhmm, shouldn't it be running to the combustion chamber! Call me goofy!

My uncle used to have 2 model A's and a model T. Im glad he never had me drive with him!

Latest posts