Had ST Key Stolen Need Help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k c

Reaction score
I had my keys stolen last night for my ST. I called the dealership and they told me that I would have to get my ST towed there in order to get a new key made. They also gave me a 1-800 number to call to get Ford to send my chip code to the Parts manager at the dealership. I had purchased the ST used and was only given one key for with the explanation that I would have to pay $$$ for a second copy.

Since my ST is a 2001, is there anywhere within the truck ie. glove box, where the code for the key is given. I am guessing I am going to have to shell out dough for the key to be programmed but is there anyway I can get around having to tow my ST?

K

With no key at all you are out of luck. You need two keys to program a third by yourself. As soon as you are down to one you need to get the dealership to do it, so with none you are out of luck, you will need to tow it in.

...and since you didn't get another key made before you had the only one stolen, now you have to pay even more money.

If I were you, once you dish out all that money to get another key made, make sure you get three. That way you don't have to go through this again.

(I have three.)

Go with Michelle's idea. Buy a third key. Even if it is just a blank. Get it cut anywhere and then program it your self. This way, if you lose another key your still god to go. at that point, you'd buy another and do it again your self. etc etc.

I'll third this, with a slight twist. Get two keys, transmitters, and the computer reprogrammed at the dealership. Buy a third key and transmitter on eBay. Programming is quite simple once you have two master units (the ones you'll purchase at Ford), and you'll be glad when you only spend $15 (key) + $10) transmitter = $25 (for the third set) considering Ford wants at least that for one key.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a way to code a key if you only have one and need another. The Ford dealer doesn't like to tell you about it as it is a rather long process (over 1/2 hour). You should be able to find the process in the factory service manual.

The only way to program a spare PATS key is with having two working keys. Takes 30 seconds, not 30 minutes, to program. The Key fob is different.

You don't need any working key fobs to program a new one. Once the new fobs are programed, the old ones wont.

Tom

Once you get through this and get the code sent to the dealer, get 2-3 keys made. Check with your insurance, maybe they can help cover the cost since the key was stolen?? I don't know what the bottom line cost is, but it sounds expensive since the stealership must get involved.

Yah.... I wonder how many vehicles have -not- been stolen because the vehicle required a PATS key. (?) I guess this is as easy to answer as the question of deer-whistles. :)

Michelle,

That is exactly right. Nobody knows how many, if any, vehicles would have been stolen if the Trac's have not been equiped with PATS keys.

Tom

Does the PATS coding remain the same for the replacement key or can that be changed? Because, if the person who stole the key knows your vehicle, wouldn't they be able to drive it away later? :(

From what I understand, when the keys are programmed, all the keys (new and old) need to be programmed at once - so the "lost" key can only be used to open the door, and the "code" stored within will no longer start the car.

Actually, that is only for the remotes, not the keys. I have 4 keys for my Trac. I programed one, then later I got another blank. I programed that at a later date. All 4 keys work.

If you program the Key Fobs without one or more of other working fobs, the ones that were not programed will not work.

Tom

Latest posts