Grinding on turn

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, got a 04' 4x4 Sport Trac and recently I've noticed a grinding sound coming from the rear of the truck when making a left hand turn. Its only when I make the turn with some speed and seems to almost be the result of body roll. I've had a bearing go before and this is different. Like I said...seems to be result of the weight of the truck rolling during a turn and gives off the sound and feeling that the bed is essentially sliding off the frame of the truck. Anyone had this or have an idea?

what size tires do you have? When I put 265/75r16s on mine they would rub on the inside a bit on turns I put 1.25 spacers on took care of it..

Long shot, but check your body mounts, especially the rear ones under the storage panels. Rear sway bar links OK?

Last edited by a moderator:
You sure noise is from rear? Is it possible that you have a bad front hub bearing that makes sound appear it's coming from back? How many miles on this Trac? How are rear shocks? And just for grins, check security of your wheel lug nuts (check 'em all).

Stock tires so don't think thats the issue.

Havent checked the body mounts or sway bar links. Its possible. I took it for another spin and noticed the noise on any speed of turn. It gets louder the fast I go though.

Sounds is definately from the rear. As I mentioned, I had a bearing go and this is definately different. Its got 80k mileson it and shocked are monroe from about 2 years ago.

If the noise is directly related to speed I think it's safe to throw out any body or chassis part. I am with Dan. A traditional differential makes a distinct sound when they go out. These diffs are a bit different. Can't say that it would make the same noise.

It gets louder the fast I go though.

Body mounts and sway bar links unlikely, sounds more like rotational noise. Ditto on the last two replies. If you have never serviced the diffy, I would do so before driving again. GL

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts