Great Cross Country Adventure

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O W

Reaction score
Almost ready for my cross country round trip from Arizona to Washington DC area and back. Including driving around Maryland and Northern Virginia total mileage should be about 5500 miles. I now have 112,000 on my 2002 2 WD. In preparing I have replaced coolant, upper and lower hoses, front rotors and races, front brake pads, front wheel bearings and seals, differential oil. I saved a ton doing these myself. At shop had the transmission flushed and new plugs (plugs had high mileage so didn't want to risk breaking one off, especially that rear one that you have to go through wheel well to get at). Still have to flush brake fluid. The only thing else I can think of is maybe replacing the serpentine belt. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Shocks? A/C system? FUEL FILTER!! Air filter. Tires OK? All lights working? And finally, do you have your AAA card in event of some type of failure? Should try to see if any active members are along the way, try to hook up. If you get the chance to get up to Baltimore, I could meet you at the Inner Harbour for lunch, maybe the aquarium? Its only 3.5 hrs from my house. Wash. to Balt. on the Wash/Balt Pkwy would take you maybe 1 hour or less. Who knows. Have a great trip, take pictures, post 'em as you go. Be safe. Bob

If you want the best fuel economy on your trip, change oil to AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-30 with the EAO11 oil filter. Add one bottle of P.i. Performance Improver to fuel tank. Call me at 800.789.2991 if you'd like to get this, as we can get this shipped to you pronto. Use the link below to "park" your cars in our free online garage.

Looks like your ready. The unknowns are the other thing.

If your oil change is going to fall durring the 5500miles. I would change it now.

Thanks to all for the comments. The oil change goes without saying, will start out with fresh synthetic. I may look at shocks when I return, but mainly taking care of things that can leave me stranded on the side of the road. To anyone who has traveled across country you know how desolate some areas are. I upgraded my AAA to the best coverage for the year because of this trip. Thanks for the invite Bob C. Not sure if I will get past Laplata Maryland but its possible. I used to work in Laurel and have been up and down 95 through Baltimore and all the way to Delaware literally hundreds of times.

I made the same trip in the other direction last Spring to show my grandson the Southwest. Took my ST from Delaware to TX, AZ, NM, CO and then back to Delaware. The grandson fell in love with my ST and now thinks it should be his after he graduates from HS. :) Give us a holler when you get back up this.

I'm back. Mickey, that's great that you could take that trip with your grandson. Thanks for all the good tips guys. Total drive 6,445 miles. The trac performed perfectly. Travel is serious business running across parts of Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. The same if you use 40 through Oklahoma. Anyone that's been across there knows there are miles and miles and miles of absolutely nothing. Now have 119,00 miles on it.

:banana: