Government considering banning potatoes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, like the investigation into whether Lance Armstrong used steroids is a high priority.

Now that he is long retired and devoting all his time to raising money for cancer research is the perfect time to look into how he won a bike race in France.

We should not waste time on energy research, job creating, education and all those other silly things.

Some governor, I think he was from Idaho, did the potato only diet for 60 days a few months ago to show that they're okay to eat everyday. I love me some potatoes, i think they could do better things with their lunches that to just ban potatoes.

I'll say it, stand em all up against the wall, no blindfolds....There are still countries that do this... if they are crooked , corrupt, and communist, then they deserve it. I'll even volunteer for the firing squad..

As long as this ban does not include what students can bring in their own lunches, I see no real problem here. My only concern is that I think this should be a state matter, not federal. In fact, I'd go as far to say that this is a matter that should be handled with each individual school district. But alas, our federal government knows no boundaries.

I do agree that there are better things to spend congressional time on, though. Maybe Michelle Obama has more influence than one would think?

I do think that America's weight problem is caused by our addiction to carbohydrates. But it's not the potato that is evil, it's just that too many parents don't know what a balanced diet is, and certainly their kids don't know.

All vegetables, fruits and grains contain carbs, and some are good carbs and some are not so good. The carbs in potatos, pasta, rice, have a high glycemic index that causes avery rapid rise in blood glucose (blood sugar). Normal people are able to handle this surge of sugar in the blood, but diabetics cannot. Over time, these high glycemic carbs can interfer with how our body handles fats because fats slow down the action of insulin. The results is that eating too many of these bad carbs will cause you to gain excess core-weight (weight around the torso). People are often said to have a beer belly because beer contains Maltose, which is also very high on the glycemic index. People who eat a lot of these bad carbs will often have very large bellies while they may not have much ecesses weight on their arms or legs.

Now if you eat a lot of potatos, pasta, rice, etc and add that to other sweets like sugars, sodas, or even fruit eaten during the day can carb overload your system. These intense sugar highs can to overweight, and Type-II diabetes.

The Adkins diet and South Beach diet have been fairly successful by breaking the Carb addiction. This is done by eliminating all the high glycemic carbs that rapidly raise blood glucose levels and cause your pancreas to work overtime to supply insulin. The diet requires that you not eat any of these High Glycemic foods for several weeks. Fat is less of an issue and where the two diets split. Adkins lets you eat bacon and other fatty foods, while the South Beach diet reduces your fat intake but allows you to have mono-unsaturated fats like Olive oil, etc. You cannot eat chicken or turkey with the skin on. You can eat very lean beef like Sirloin steak, etc. Of couse the also include a lot of fish and sea food.

South beach does not recommend that you drink any carbonated diet drinks, and no caffinated coffee since caffine is a stimulant that also stimulates your appetite.

I don't see any point in eliminating potatos from the school cafeteria when they serve Pizza which has bread crust which also has a high glycemic index, and then top that with the fat from the cheese and pepperoni, etc and it is probably just as bad or even worse than french fries.

...Rich

My only concern is that I think this should be a state matter, not federal. In fact, I'd go as far to say that this is a matter that should be handled with each individual school district. But alas, our federal government knows no boundaries.

I do agree that there are better things to spend congressional time on, though. Maybe Michelle Obama has more influence than one would think?

Most definitely agree to this. "States' Rights" are long forgotten today. It's like the 1850s, only its the whole country that has lost its representation in a Federal government which is actively working against it, instead of just half of it.

If the Federal Government is going to mandate anything on "The War on Obesity" (Another "war" which is a money-sink with no payoff, like Poverty & Drugs, but I digress.), it should mandate exercise. To paraphrase the late Jack LaLanne, if you exercise enough, you can eat garbage and still be perfectly healthy. Though the governments have pretty much crippled physical education in schools.

Does anyone else find it interesting that the Federal Government will try to hurt the sales of one crop while subsidizing another? They're trying to put a damper on potato sales, yet they're directly and indirectly subsidizing corn like crazy.

Yeah, but if we plant every single acre of U.S. land with corn, we can solve all of our energy needs for a whole day. All you can do with potatoes is make a stupid clock.

All you can do with potatoes is make a stupid clock.

You can do much, much, more with potatoes, like make a piece of field artillery. :fire:

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sdFK5eVmZ3o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Potatoes can make you Rich! In 1949, George Lerner invented the first Mr Potato Head kit. The kit consisted of plastic parts: eyes, noses, ears, lips, etc that could be stuck into a potato (or other vegetables) to make characters. Later Hasbro bought the rights and started making the kit to include a plastic potato.

...Rich

Latest posts