Got to replace the Water Pump

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Duckworth

Reaction score
Hi all!

Noticed a bad leak last night when I got home from work.

Today my brother-in-law helped me find it. Yep, it's the water pump. I was a bit suprised. I had WP's go bad on a couple Jeep CJ-7's in the past and they made a racket. The ST is quiet as a mouse when she is running, but you can see the water streaming right out of the top of the WP.

My question.....Anyone here replace the water pump? It's gonna be a nightmare isn't it. A local shop here that does good work told me $100 for labor and I can buy the part for $70 lifetime warranty.

With coolant I figure $200-$220, should I attempt it or just take it to the shop?

Any info, suggestions or trips to Tuscaloosa to repair for free greatly appreciated,

Ron

I replaced mine. I noticed fluid out the weephole when I was installing an underdrive water pump pulley so I took care of it while I was in that area. It was pretty straightforward. Removing the clutch fan is probably the most difficult part. With the loaner program from auto zone, that part was easy enough to remove.

$100 doesn't sound bad though for labor.

Latest posts