Got some $$$ - Getting tires...etc.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Duckworth

Reaction score
Hi all!!

Been a while since I have posted, but I have still been here lurking.

I am doing a 401k loan to payoff everything I owe and only have 1 payment. I will have extra cash left over and plan on buying tires, shocks..etc for my ST.

I have thought about the BFGoodrich All Terrain tire....but I wanted to ask what everyone else thought.

Whats the biggest tire I can put on with no rubbing?

Best shock?

Thanks for any info!

Ron

265/70/16's will fit, *might* have slight rubbing......285's most likely will have rubbing that can be cured usually with some wheel well trimming. Everyone has different experiences.

As for shocks...any shock is better. Monroe is pretty good, many here have them. I also suggest an EE sway bar if you do not already have one....by far the best bang for your buck as far as ride/handling enhancements goes.

Good luck!

I have Michelin LTX's and am very happy with them, siping already in the tread, about 130.00 a peice at Discount Tire...also put on a set of Monroe Reflex's...very happy with both..

2001 Job1 92,000 miles...also recommend changing the oil to mobil 1 synthetic blend, seems to have calmed engine vibration at higher RPM's

Dennis- Houston TX

I'll throw in a vote for Bridgestone Dueler Revo's. We've had them for several months now and love them.

Shocks...Rancho RSX is what we have and are very pleased with them as well. Those were added several years ago. I'll also agree with the sway bar recommendation. Huge difference in ride/handeling when added with the shocks.

I am wanting a nice big tire that looks good and fills up the wheel well.

Back in the day, I had 3 Jeep CJ7's...I put 30's on it....very nice tire and looked great on the Jeep..

Are 30's to big for the ST?

Will the 265 or 285 size be nice and big? Right now, the tires on it look like car tires. Look at the pic's in my profile, you will see.

thanks,

Ron

265's fill the well nicely and are 'somewhat noticeable'. 285's fill it up really nice (but again will most likely have rubbing issues - especially with the BFG's) and you can tell they are bigger, no doubt.

I have 265 BFG K/O's and understand that you seem to want that aggresive look. Sometimes I really notice how big they are comparatively...and sometimes I wish they were bigger (tire envy). You may have some luck if you ask around for comparison pictures. Here's a picture of mine with the 265 BFG's.

[Broken External Image]:

I do have some rubbing on the front sway bar because of the aggresive tread, but that's only on REALLY sharp turns.

Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, and if you don't already have it....get the sway bar! Trust me!

I recently added a new set of Bridgestone Duelers and new Monroe Reflex shocks to my '01 Job One with 93K miles. Rides like a dream now...I'm kicking myself for waiting as long as I did. I'll probably do the EE rear sway bar soon.

401(k) loan? I hope you don't lose your job!!

Got new tires yesterday. I went with the 255's to avoid any rubbing problems. They look good and drive good. I got the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's. They are a highway tire not an all terrain tire. My ST is just a 4x2.

Ah Ron, i see you too have the 235/75/15s on those cheap junky steel wheels! lol I have the same wheels and had the same problems with them not being big enough for what i like. I ended up sticking with the 235/75/15s, but putting on the BFG all terrains as you mentioned. They are louder than most, but they get me through everything. Also they seem to fill it better than the dunlops i had on before, possibly because of the aggressive tread. Go for BFG TA KO in 235/75/15 i think you be happy-By the way, we'll both have almost identical tracs then! ha

Good luck

Andy

i have widetrack baja A/T 285's on my '01 btu have a tt/sl and body lift, still rubs. you will deffinatly rub if they even fit.

i have rancho rsx5000 on my truck and its much better than stock. they are not the gretest you can get but i went with them for the price!

Latest posts